Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Almost puked...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There's been a sweet 79 F350 hanging around these parts for years...I've tried buying the truck several times. We usually hit up the same car shows and do the same parades, so we're familiar with each other. Almost pulled the deal off 2 years ago, had the cash in hand right before we shook hands, he backed out and said he's owned it since new and just couldn't let it out of the family. About a year ago, I made another offer on it...and he told me his son really took a liking to the truck and he was going to pass it down to him when he got his license in 6ish months. A pit in my stomach instantly formed. Here's a pic of the truck as I knew it:

PICT0575.JPG

Over the weekend, I saw the kid driving the truck, I just about puked. There was trim stripped off the truck, fenderwells had evidence of tire stuffing, bed was damn near jy material, mud splattered down the side of the truck, serious cracks to the windshield, looked like something heavy hit the roof and hood. I was absolutely sick...no pics to share, and it's probably better that way. The truck deserved better than that...I think I'm still gonna try to save the truck, and make another (significantly lower) offer...or maybe if the kid wants a beater/wheeler I'll put the Bronco on the trading block.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
BTW...have I mentioned that no kid, before age 21 should have a vehicle worth more than $1500, unless they pay for it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That totally sucks. :mad: :mad:

No kidding...but then again, I hold my vehicles in higher regard than I do most humans.

I figured you were going to say he wrecked it immediately. Having finished your story, the reality isn't that much better.

Ryan

I think I would have preferred a wreck...at least that's a one and done.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
At least is a dentside though....so it can handle whatever abuse he has put it through.

But yea, i know what you mean :)

My buddies dad handed down to him a beautiful 77 Chevy 1/2 4wd Cheyanne, it had like 44,000 original on it or something, he used it at truck pulls, mud bogs, and as a hunting rig and now looks like every other beat to hell redneck special chevy running around out there.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
The guy I bought my truck from said he refused to sell to a guy that offered to buy it for his 16 year old.

I still work my truck....but working it and beating it are two different things.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Couldn't agree more...as much as I hate to do it, I'd still throw a load in the bed of Red to go to the dump, or a bed full of firewood. That said, I did similar things as this kid did to Red initially...but I paid for it all or worked on it all. After paying to have a fender restraightened, or a new panel and new paint...you learn how to respect the vehicle. Kids are young and dumb.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
That sucks to hear. Ya can't be upset with the kid, but upset with his Dad for giving him such a truck when you know the end result. If you can snatch it up and save it, that would be awesome.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The fact that it's a 79 F350 4WD makes it VERY special. That's sad to hear! That is what I was searching for when I bought the F150. They were either priceless or beat up beyond recognition.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And if you need room, I'll give the Bronco a good home :D

Nah...the Bronco is becoming fun again. Gettin new brake system, picking up new TSL's this weekend, she has a set of turbines waiting on her. Very few rigs I'd give her up for.

The fact that it's a 79 F350 4WD makes it VERY special. That's sad to hear!

You said it Doug.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And to your EFI thread, I saw MSD has a system

I really really want to...but that whole E part of EFI scares the hell outta me. Probably be a project for next year.

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
My dream truck!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Thats sad...

That guy could have taken the cash and bought a cheap first car then pocketed the rest...

But what can you do... you should talk to him and see if he is as upset as you are.
If he owned it since new and he took great care of it he is probably just as sick if not more sick than you are now...

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
UTfball68 said:
BTW...have I mentioned that no kid, before age 21 should have a vehicle worth more than $1500, unless they pay for it.

You have and I totally agree!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts