Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Almost power steering box time.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Well Had My truck aligned about month ago before winter tires went on. Didn't have that much play Before . Well last week it got worse (not to bad yet ) And I checked things (everything is new) . Could see the shop must have torqued down the box a little (cleaned corners on adjuster ). This happens to every one I've seen adjusted.

So once Its a new box in spring . I guess . Or put in the 1 I got with 69000 on it .

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm thinking about adjusting that nut on my steering box... Just replaced my tie rods and had it aligned and the slop was slightly reduced but I can still move the steering wheel through MOST of 11-o'clock to 1-o'clock with no movement in the tires.

But I've always been told not to touch that adjuster nut... Bad idea to mess with it?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The proper way to set the steering box lash is with a torque wrench that measures inch pounds. Over tightening the lash, which is easy to do, leads to faster wear and even more slop. Sometimes even breakage.

I don't know the specs to do it, so I really can't tell you the proper way. I have tightened them before, but I found that if you need to go more than 1/8 to 1/4 turn, you need a rebuilt box. There is more to the clearances than just that screw.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Heres out fit my friend uses:
fdac_2.JPG

www.steeringandbrakes.com

Their eBAy add http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-9...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I believe it was sub ford that posted once that have to drain system . And turn back and forth between 1/4 turns. I also have a manual somewhere thats written alone same lines.

I've done it every way I can think in past . And they never last long. Just me I guess

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Larry what's so great about that steering box?

Nothing . This guy had repair and inspection shop he was looking for resonable boxes . Had good luck with these no returns yet . $109 plus shipping 5 yr warrenty . (Which I have no Idea how ud get replacement quick )

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I helped my uncle adjust the slack on his truck and he didn't use a tq wrench, he just had be turn the wheel back and forth only about 1/2" and he hasn't had any problems since..

Ford steering boxes are sloppy

I had the same slop issue and decided to change out the entire system. New box, hoses, pump. And it's still sloppy, although somewhat better. I'm now thinking about using an AGR box/pump combo. Anybody have any experience with this? Does it take out the slop? Thanks.:cool:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I had the same slop issue and decided to change out the entire system. New box, hoses, pump. And it's still sloppy, although somewhat better. I'm now thinking about using an AGR box/pump combo. Anybody have any experience with this? Does it take out the slop? Thanks.:cool:

If the tir rods r new . Check the steering column u jionts Etc . The pump has little to do with slop its the box. If u got a advance or auto zone box may be your problem . I hear allot of problem with them ,.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
update

Well I adjusted box up right after I posted originally . Just went 1/4 turn . No real improvement . Now its getting worse . I knew better .

I also checked the steering column for slope nothing there.

I'm going to be close to home working (25 miles )in couple months I'll just drive the plow truck . And put new box on . If the rust removal is not to much That is .

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts