Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

aftermarket tach

FTF'er
Just wondering, is it possible to install a factory tach? It was super simple on my Ranger.

FTF'er
If the speedometer itself is the same, then it can swap to the new cluster.

I bought a junkyard cluster from an Explorer for $20 for my Ranger and swapped the whole cluster. The old one had 181,xxx miles and I wrote the mileage of the new one on the housing of the old one so future owners would know the actual mileage. Mileage on a vehicle over 10 years old isn't recorded here. If the mileage thing is a legal issue for you, then it won't work. Or if it would significantly reduce the value of the truck I wouldn't swap either... otherwise I'd do it.

As for the swap itself, I have no idea how to do it on your gen truck, but I prefer the look of a factory tach over an aftermarket one screwed to the dash.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Swapping in a stock tach cluster is not hard at all. And no you won't lose your mileage. The gauge cluster in these trucks is actually 3 modular pieces that attach together. The speedo (and the PSOM that goes with it) are all on the center piece; so you just have to buy a tach cluster and swap your speedo module into it.

Here's an example of a manual cluster, though I'm pretty sure that you can interchange the manual and auto cluster-- just have to remove the little black plate that covers where the P R N D 2 1 would be:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-F...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_529wt_1165

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
oh its not a legal issue. i just would like to keep the original mileage in it. has 303k miles. but i wont be screwing the aftermarket tach on the dash. ill probably get a gauge pod and put it in it.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
ive done both! my 92 i swaped my speedometer into another cluster,and on my 96 i installed an autometer tack on the left corner of the dash. if i was goin to do it again my my 96 would have the indash tach. to me it was easyer then run wires and taking stuff apart to hide the wires. if you do go the factory tach look for a gauge cluster from the same year truck. i have found many times even tho the 92 to 96's look the same theres a ton of differences

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
if you do go the factory tach look for a gauge cluster from the same year truck. i have found many times even tho the 92 to 96's look the same theres a ton of differences
That is very true. I believe there are 3 different clusters that LOOK the same but are wired differently. I think the 92-93 are the same, 94-95 are the same, and 96 is all by itself. For confirmation on that, contact Lost (Larry). He's an expert on cluster and might even have some extras that he'd be willing to sell.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
well that makes sence skan, i tryed to put the 93 cluter in my 96 and everything worked EXEPT the charging system. and then i put it in the 92 and it was a spot on match. i just love the trial and erorr thing

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The gauge cluster is complete without a tack IMO.

Yeah...tacks are for bulletin boards. :p

Tachometers, or tachs, on the the other hand, can come in handy.

I've driven a lot of miles without one and certainly don't need it...but I like more gauges to give me more information about what my truck is doing. And while I can (and did) figure out RPM factors based on ground speed and gear ratios for my '97, it's more math than I want to do when I'm not getting paid for it.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Skan said it right .

92, 93 94, 95 96 ,97 HD

There r 93 with air bag out there so watch . Basically once your cluster is pulled look at part Number on back to make sure .

I've never had issue as along as followed the year group above. It takes me about 20 minute to swap them . there r several good write ups here . Or I can PM email them for you .

Look at trucks being parted out as get cluster cheaper that way .

If cant find let me know . I send parts all over .

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yeah, I meant tachs. My auto has a tach, useless but good info none the less. What's a non-tach dash look like anyway.

Has the 4 gauges spread out 2 large on each side in stead of 4 smaller to the left and tach on right ,

FTF'er
Yeah, I meant tachs. My auto has a tach, useless but good info none the less. What's a non-tach dash look like anyway.

I use the tach with an auto quite often when I pull trailers to be sure the torque converter stays locked when in OD, otherwise I pull it down into 3rd.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Has the 4 gauges spread out 2 large on each side in stead of 4 smaller to the left and tach on right ,
Gen-8:

Gen-9 is the same idea.

I/We don't use the OD unless were on the highway. That's what Ernie did with his AOD and he got 230K+ out of his so he must be doing something right.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
My OD is off most time . Course with all hills I see passing gear as much as over drive.

KdPate

After Hours Garage
Who needs a tach. Go by engine sound and then shift.....:cooldude:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts