Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Aftermarket head lights

Has anyone purchased a set of new aftermarket head lights for our 73/79 ford trucks and if so, what brand ? how did they fit ? and how clear and bright are they ? Looking to buy some but not sure where or who to go through.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I've been very happy with the Hellas I bought several years ago. The beam dispersion is pretty nice, even though they are 65/55 watt. I have been meaning to install the headlight relays with some more powerful bulbs, like 100/80W, but haven't done it yet.

These are rectangular lights, also. They are plug and play.

I wished I would have kept the Marchals that I bought for the '79 in 1980. They were amazing. Nice for driving 80 miles in deer-infested country.

Last edited:
headlights

Do you mean after market lights to replace the OEM sealed beams? If so, I would say any 7 inch clear replacement would work (even the ones for motorcycles) and just use standard H4 bulbs. The only thing you WILL need to do is replace the OEM wiring with a new headlight wiring harness that goes to the battery. I have this on my truck (73 Ranger XLT) and it looks great.

Attachments

• 20140516_125844 - Copy.jpg
  • 20140513_125107 - Copy.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Although there is nothing wrong with doing that relay setup, if you are running factory wattage lamps, I think you are better off making sure all the factory connections are sound.

If you run the numbers for voltage drop, you wind up with about .5 volt drop...so when the engine is running and the alternator producing 14.4 volts, the headlights are seeing 13.8-14 which is what the filament is designed for.

Of course if you are running above 55/60 watt lamps, then the relay mod is a must.

hella's all the way for me, I order the e-codes lights with 90-130 watt bosh bulbs and make my own relay harness. I do a lot of highway driving up here and they perform very well! I have tried that cool after market thing already ended up throwing them in the trash,ok if you don't go out of the city but for real light not worth the time or effert.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts