Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Adding lift...

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I know add-a-leaf is common for lifting trucks but i have never known anyone who has used it on top of lift springs...

Heres my situation currently have a 6" lift via new springs (no blocks) but with the bumpstop left in. Can i use any sort of add-a-leaf to get 3-4 more " of lift in the rear on top of the lift springs?

My idea for the front is just to swap to 8" lift coils and use 1 or 2 1" coil spacers (leveling kit) to match the rear. smiliegitrdone

thoughts, ideas, words of wisdom or warning?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Be aware that after about 6 inches you're going to have to start doing some extra things such as extending break lines, installing pinion shims, drop pitman arm, ladder bars, etc. From what I've heard, 6 inches is about the threshold on these trucks.

Black150

California Chapter member
So Cal
smiliewhathesaid

I've never heard of a AAL that goes on top of the pack. Maybe try a suspension shop on that. Are you straight axle? I'm on my crap work computer, and can't really see if it's TTB or SA.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
He's on ttb.

As far as putting an add-a-leaf into the lift spring pack... I really don't see why not. I'm not very familiar with the lift springs, but I don't seem to remember any feature about them that would limit you from being able to add leaves like you would to a stock spring pack.

Storm

If you're wanting 2" more, better off looking/making 2" lift blocks to place between the leafs and axle. It's a lot safer than using an add-a-leaf, which you can still do. Over 6" you're going to have axle wrap if you're on the throttle hard. Look at installing some traction bars to keep the axle steady. Normal extension of parts will be needed. You'll also need a longer pitman arm drop to realign the steering geometry, I don't recommend lifting without it. You'll blow bearings, tieroads, and steering boxes way to quick. Front is simple, throw 8" lift coil. But depending on weight, make sure you pack it right. I don't foresee 2" of drop with weight of the engine. Than again mounting points could be key here. You'll need to measure out the exact height at stag weight to get an idea of where it stands. Adjustable tract bar up front is also needed. Steering geometry is crucial. Anything over "leveling" will need to be addressed. If you're running a stock tract bar on 6" lift, I really hope you have a tract relo bracket.

If you need some more help let me know. I've done far too many lifts to not know how to set it up right. I've learned mistakes along the way, even with the Beast. Nothing like blow out pitman arm and finding out the nut is 7mm away from falling off which results in complete loss of steering ;)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Storm perhaps I'm mistaken but trac bars are only on the straight axles, no?

Lifting the front TTB will require lift coils (or spacers if he wants to go that route) and then a bigger drop bracket for the pivot arms.

Last edited:

Storm

Storm perhaps I'm mistaken but trac bars are only on the straight axles, no?

Lifting the front TTB will require lift coils (or spacers if he wants to go that route) and then a bigger drop bracket for the pivot arms.

You're right.. I'm thinking solid front axles which Ford didn't have on certain trucks. I'm so use to Super Duty's. DOH. But yes you are right. Ignore the trac bar part, but he will need to drop the pitman to keep the steering line right. Otherwise goodbye tie rods and so fourth.

Thanks for pointing that out Chris :) Thats why I like having a hippie like you around. GRIN

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You're right.. I'm thinking solid front axles which Ford didn't have on certain trucks. I'm so use to Super Duty's. DOH. But yes you are right. Ignore the trac bar part, but he will need to drop the pitman to keep the steering line right. Otherwise goodbye tie rods and so fourth.

Thanks for pointing that out Chris :) Thats why I like having a hippie like you around. GRIN
Just glad I'm not crazy :D

Black150

So Cal
Oh yeah, extended RA's. Or you can go the cheaper route with some RA drop brackets. Radius Arms, that is.

I didn't see it mentioned, thought i should throw it out there.

Michigan
Aint his truck already lifted? Im sure he already has the drop RA brackets as well as the axle drop brackets.. Can you even lift a TTB without the brackets? He has a 6 inch lift if i remember right.

Black150

So Cal
Yeah Mike, that had crossed my mind. But you never know these days, so i just "threw" it out there. Good looking out though

Michigan
Yep NP, just makin sure no one gets cornfused..

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Okay im gunna try to adress everything said but im sure i'l mis something...

Im on TTB with a straight axle in the works
already lifted 6"
Pitman arm dropped 4" Would i need a larger one?
Front Trac bar is not dropped but that shouldnt be a problem
Already have drop TTB brackets (cant lift w/out)
The reason im leaning away from lift blocks is A. because i dont like them and B. because its already sitting on the stock bumpstop and i would never stack blocks

Brake lines would need to be extended but i think the pinion angle should be fine.

Okay, what did i miss haha?

Michigan
Do you have the two piece rear driveshaft with a carrier bearing? If so like someone mentioned above you may need to shim it. I think the only way your going to be able to achieve the two more inches in the back is by using two inch blocks. You have full 6 inch lift springs in the back right? They have more of an arch? If so the add a leaf probably wont be tight against the springs in order to clamp them in. Just thinking outside the box, ive never done this so i have not the slightest clue.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Good point Mike-- the lift springs do have more arch so in that respect the add-a-leaf might not work. He COULD put an overload spring UNDER the spring back in order to get maybe another inch of lift, just from the thickness of the spring. Dual purpose, it'll also help with axle wrap YelloThumbUp

Michigan
2 inch blocks, and some Traction bars from Broncograveyard, i think would be your best bet. JMO

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts