Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ac or not

I have a 76 F250 Crewcab with a 390 4 speed that doesn't have ac or any of the ac vents. It also has a bad heater core. I also have a 78 F350 Supercab with a 460 auto that has ac with all the vents. I'm debating on whether or not to switch the ac to the 76? It doesn't get to hot here very often. I'm selling the Supercab.

smiliewhathesaid

And yea, that truck is beautiful!

Thats the good side. I'm trying to figure out where to post the pics at or find the gallery.
This was the day that I brought it home.
1976Truck002.gif

After the bath
Crewcab004.jpg

I'm looking to make it a 4X4

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The only PITA might be is cutting the hole in the firewall for that Big black box under the hood, but with the donor truck you have, draw a template and start cutting. Everything else is just some time to switch it over. I'd do it. Even if you don't get to the install, you'll at least have all the parts to do it later and if for some reason you decide not to do it, I'm sure you can sell the parts.

That crew is one nice truck.

It gets hot as hell down here but even if I put my A/C back in the truck, I'd never use it...the best part of having these old rigs is to run with both windows down, hear the tires hum, and exhaust roar...

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
It gets hot as hell down here but even if I put my A/C back in the truck, I'd never use it...the best part of having these old rigs is to run with both windows down, hear the tires hum, and exhaust roar...

I have to agree with that! Just turn your wing windows all the way out so the front is pointing back at you directing all the air towards you.

2-60 AC (two windows down, 60 mph) came standard on all these trucks!

I thought the 2 in 2-60 AC was two wing windows open at 60? :D

Man that Crew looks awesome!!! I still vote AC though, occasionally, if your going to dinner or something, its nice to look halfway descent and not all sweaty when you get there.

I thought the 2 in 2-60 AC was two wing windows open at 60? :D

Man that Crew looks awesome!!! I still vote AC though, occasionally, if your going to dinner or something, its nice to look halfway descent and not all sweaty when you get there.

Nah I think the 2-60 A/C is both regular windows down and going 60 lol. But yeah the vent windows sure helps...I consider that "max" setting.

For the dinner outing, use the grocery getter!

Lol, in my case the gracery getter is the F-100 :D But I've got factory AC and it works, so I'm good! The other ride is my 91 Grand Wagoneer, and it also has ice-like AC, but its a garage queen :D

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Burt is "sort" of a garage queen (actually.. KING!) I do drive him every couple weeks for 100 miles or so and he'll pull the travel trailer this summer a couple times locally. I've put 22k on him in 10 years or so.

I vote for the AC!!! There are enough days that are not hot enough for AC for driving with the windows down, etc. The other days when it's really hot (100 +) I LOVE having the AC.:)

Dak

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I just used my A/C today, but just going down the highway and because I had my little one with me. But, as soon as we were just cruising the streets, down came the windows. I have heard that r134a isn't as cold as the old R12, but my A/C sure is cold. I had to turn the fan down to low. I kinda got lucky, at least so far, with my A/C. I found an old compressor sitting on the seat of a salvage truck and mainly bought it for mockup purposes, but I had it charged up and wouldn't you know it, the damn thing works. I guess if have to get lucky once in awhile. Now I just hope it lasts. Seems to work just fine.

But there is nothing like rolling the windows down and hearing that exhaust and having the wind blow in.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If I had a/c I'd use it, but I love driving with the windows down and hearing the exhaust.

I say hell yeah man. Factory AC systems are awesome.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I just used my A/C today, but just going down the highway and because I had my little one with me. But, as soon as we were just cruising the streets, down came the windows. I have heard that r134a isn't as cold as the old R12, but my A/C sure is cold. I had to turn the fan down to low. I kinda got lucky, at least so far, with my A/C. I found an old compressor sitting on the seat of a salvage truck and mainly bought it for mockup purposes, but I had it charged up and wouldn't you know it, the damn thing works. I guess if have to get lucky once in awhile. Now I just hope it lasts. Seems to work just fine.

But there is nothing like rolling the windows down and hearing that exhaust and having the wind blow in.

Buck-

I guess I haven't been on here enough to stay in the loop. Is your truck all done and on the road?

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Not quite completely done, but done enough to drive.

That's great to hear you got her on the road!

I guess they're never competely done!

I've had so much other stuff going on that I haven't even put that radio in that I bought from you yet--too many house projects, not enough time for truck projects.

Sorry for the hijack!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts