Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ABS & Parking Brake lights...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Both the ABS and Parking Brake lights are on...
But the parking brake is NOT engaged, i never use my parking brake...
Whats goin on?

The ABS light comes on just after i start the truck, the Parking brake light is usually on when i start but when i take off quick or go from rolling back wards to taking off it will go off for a minute, but then comes right back on....
Any suggestions guys, kinda got me stumped...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not trying to insult you, but I've seen this happen with low fluid. Beyond that, possibly a brake switch.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
You think maybe dirty fluid ben?
I need to flush it out, i know that much...
Ill try to pull the codes in the morning before i leave...
If not for sure when i get back.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Couldn't tell ya Don...but I've seen nasty fluid throw those lights before...so it's a possibility...and probably the easiest/cheapest thing to deal with.

mine did the same thing when i was low on fluid, top it off and you should be ok, if not, you probably have a bad float in the Master

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I looked at the float and the fluid was over it, but it didnt come up, so i tapped it with a piece of wire and it came back up, im just thinking it got hung up... But either way lights went off...
Thanks guys, reps to the both of ya.

glad to see you got it fixed!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
yup glad to see you got it fixed... first time ive heard of them having floats in the reservoir... guess theres always a first time for them to make interesting things...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Its a dummy light for when you fluid gets low, lets you know its time to change brake pads... Your fluid gets lower as your pads wear out. Or you have a leak. Either way its pretty nice i think.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
yeah ive seen them do sensors for the fluid levels before.. just a first for a float type one... ive never had a vehicle before that the pads would wear out so much that theyd trip those sensors.. seen it a once when i was bleeding before and forgot to refill while i was bleeding lol... only other time i got the light was because of firestone.. (never let them touch your brakes).. had the system flushed and the dimwits left the bleeder valves partway open... got halfway home and my brakes quit working...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I haven't seen it go off about pads either but i dont mess with my brakes, i do know its about time though, would rather replace pads a little early then wait to long and not have brakes...

your ful level is measured with a float too lol..

and its really not for pads as they have wear indicators built in, more so for leaks, especially slow ones that you cant feel through the pedal

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I haven't seen it go off about pads either but i dont mess with my brakes, i do know its about time though, would rather replace pads a little early then wait to long and not have brakes...

agreed... im being a bit lazy with my stang though... its been sitting alot lately and last time i went in for inspection i got "warned" on them.. (they use a 3 color system at ours, green = good, yellow = warning but still kinda good, red = fail/replace)... still havent done them yet... figure at 60 bucks a pair they can stay on there till they tell me they need to go.. do know i need to get the rotors turned though when i go to do change them... some reason driver sides decided its not going to wear properly... hubs look like they have the rings of saturn grooved into them...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
your ful level is measured with a float too lol..

and its really not for pads as they have wear indicators built in, more so for leaks, especially slow ones that you cant feel through the pedal

this is true, but brake systems are designed in that when the brake pads wear down the fluid level goes down. Alot of people will top it back off then when they go to change brakes they have loads of extra fluid usually spilling over the top. It was something i was taught when i was working at the transmission shop, if the brake fluid is low check the brake pads for wear.

this is true, but brake systems are designed in that when the brake pads wear down the fluid level goes down. Alot of people will top it back off then when they go to change brakes they have loads of extra fluid usually spilling over the top. It was something i was taught when i was working at the transmission shop, if the brake fluid is low check the brake pads for wear.

yeh, true, but what im sayin is ive had cars that were metal to metal in the shop and the lights werent on.. lol... it seves a few purposes, who know what exactly they ment for it to tell you

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yea that is also true... I use the fluid level as an idicator once it start to get a little low i start checkin my brakes more often... Just something to make it easier for me.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts