Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A working man's truck

Holtz has helped me understand the situation I'm facing:
Replacing the oil seal around the axle spindle inside the front differential of my 78 4wd F150.
I just replace the ball joints myself, a big job for me. I'm a carpenter and I work on my truck because every time I bring it to a mechanic I wind up being uphappy or unhappy and doing it over myself. I like the satisfaction of doing these jobs, but I still work for a living and this is my only transportation. The prospect of pulling the hub and spindle again . . . now on both sides and pulling out the guts of the differential (which I have never even laid eyes on) hoping I will be able to do this job right, put it all back together without any new problems opens up this terrible big dark space in my stomach. That's where I'm at right now.

jim in nc

Never know or learn until you try and do it. It's really not that difficult, I just did the seals on my 95 which has a 79 axle underneath it on friday in about 3 hours all together. I personally think the hardest part is putting the new seals in. Everything else is just remove, and put it back the way it was. Good chance to grease everything back up too, ball joints, u-joints, tie rods, and wheels bearings.

Search the web, there's tons of write-ups and how-to's with pictures on how to do this job. Or go buy a manual and follow that.

Good luck!

Okay MG, that was my feeling too, after I slept on it. I'm going to try and drive it about 10 miles to where I live and work on it here. I'll let you know how it goes.

MG,
This is where I'm at now. I opened the differential and looked inside. I think I can do it too, but not now. I need to have my truck working for me. So I've started looking for a back up truck. When I get that I'll pull this guy apart without being under the gun.
Here's the question: If I don't use 4wd will it be okay to just put enough oil in there to keep the gears, well oily, without enough to leak out my axle and drive it. I'm figuring the dif won't turn, the spindle won't turn and I should be okay for a month or so. What do you think.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts