Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A little elbow grease.......

2 hours, a bottle of goo gone, and a cut on the knuckles deep enough for stitches yielded this:
BEFORE:
100_1669.JPG

100_1668.JPG

and AFTER:
Picture_359.jpg

Picture_361.jpg

and ended up with this:
Picture_358.jpg

This trash was on it when I bought the truck, I wanted to take it off but wifey poo liked it and threw a fit when I mentioned taking it off. Yesterday, she mentioned that they were fading and wanted to know if she can get new ones. I sez, sure first I need to see if they are stick ons and will come off or if I need new handles. This morning I went out there and went to work, told her they were stick ons and can buy new ones on ebay for $55 when we have the extra money. This is the finished product, btw, she will forget about the new ones in a couple weeks. She is pouting now but she will get over it. I wasnt kidding about the gash either, probably needs stitches but nothing duct tape isnt taking care of. What do you guys think?

SC
Ive never been a fan of those chrome accents but I must admit the truck looks better with it than without. The truck looks kinda bland now.

Im sticking with the wifey on this one.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Vintage+Sister+Elbow+Grease+6.jpg

Is this what you used? I have been looking all over, but have not been able to find it. How much did you use?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You un-blinged it.

Look, if she really wants shiny, don't re-do it that way. save up for chrome mirrors and then get some nice polished aluminum bed rails. Forget about all the 'bling'

Ryan

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'v never really liked chrome accents.. but on that truck I kinda liked it. :wasntme:

looks good either way though.. smilieFordlogo

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
i think superglue works better than ducttape......if you seal it while it's bleeding.Oh the truck... actually it woulda looked alright with just the fender trim gone...black denim n chrome man....

That fender trim still has me kind of fuming. I had the truck washed after I took it off, and the lines where is sat against the truck are still there. I am sure those will disappear with a wax job, but there are nicks in various places where either whoever put them on was careless or rocks hit.

SC
Thats why I never remove trim that has sat over fresh paint.

Coming soon for an instant replay.....

100_1669.JPG

The darn fender trim cut the paint so bad that a repaint would be needed to fix it. I tried to scratchx it last night and that didnt work, this morning went talk to a detail shop and they said no way. So as soon as door handle overlays arrive the fender trim is going back too. What will be different is the gas tank cover. Instead of the retarded looking flame stick on one, it will be a billet locking door.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I have to agree that the chrome looked better. :wasntme:

Can new guys have ops too?
1. Less is more.
2. Chome is for Harleys, not door handles.
3. The Superglue thing works better than duct tape.
4. 3M makes a glaze especially for black/dark paint that kills haze, swirls, little nicks etc. Check with a body/paint shop, autozone won't have it.

I appreciate the tips Rooster. Welcome to the forum! I didnt like chrome either, and dont want to see it go back on but the groove that was cut into the paint is almost down to the primer. The detail shop I spoke with said there is nothing that can be done with it short of paint. I have been looking at aftermarket fender flares and even the OEM ones would look retarded, I guess the truck is just not made to look good with them but I have to put something to cover the grooves.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts