Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A/C box insulation

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Anyone have any pics of how the insulation is supposed to go on the A/C box under the hood?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Are you talking about the foam layer in the evaporator?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The reflective insulation on the outside of the A/C box under the hood. What does it really do and do I need it? Right now I don't have any on the outside of the box.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You know I don't recall seeing that on mine. I will go check.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The only place I had insulation was over the cover that surrounds the coolant lines that go into the box, and it was pretty rotten and starting to fall off. There was also some pliable clay-like material (like plumber's putty) wrapped around the coolant lines where they penetrated the box.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The only place I had insulation was over the cover that surrounds the coolant lines that go into the box, and it was pretty rotten and starting to fall off. There was also some pliable clay-like material (like plumber's putty) wrapped around the coolant lines where they penetrated the box.

That sounds very similar to what I had..maybe it was different on the 77's?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
The plumber's putty is to seal the HVAC box so as not to leak "treated" air out. I think the reflective stuff was to prevent heat absorbtion. I don't care, I always pull it off and trash it if I'm going into the box.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I haven't seen the reflective insulation on many trucks probably because of the reason people pull it off since it does get all rotted or it just falls off. Rather than trying to piece some on and having it fall off later and burn up on my headers, I'll just leave it. I just thought it might be something I should have on. Thanks.

Doggonit, I forgot all about that insulation!
(thanks for the reminder :)

I insulated that big plate from-the-inside decades ago and
never got around to putting something back on the outside.

Any suggestions on material type and/or where to get it ?

Alvin in AZ

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
In my opinion, the insulation was a factory installation. What is left of my foil insulation is still tucked up underneath the box that is riveted together, which has never been touched. It looks like the insulation was glued in place, and then the two halves of the box were riveted together, which anchored the insulation. The foil was reinforced with strands of string, like visqueen.

Ford Truck Articles