Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 ranger squeal

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
hey everyone i need some help on a little problem of mine, i got a 97 ranger 4.0 with a 5 speed overdrive and on start up there is a loud and very annoying squeal that lasts for a minute or less or more then fades away i notice the other day after cleaning the engine compartment, i unplugged the large harness from the alternator and started it up and no squeal and remembered, plugged it back in and bang the squeal came right back. engine was running for maybe 5 minutes

Last edited:
hey everyone i need some help on a little problem of mine, i got a 97 ranger 4.0 with a 5 speed overdrive and on start up there is a loud and very annoying squeal that lasts for a minute or less or more then fades away i notice the other day after cleaning the engine compartment, i unplugged the large harness from the alternator and started it up and no squeal and remembered, plugged it back in and bang the squeal came right back. engine was running for maybe 5 minutes

Try tightening the fan belt.

Cheers Mark

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Pretty sure that truck's got a serpentine belt with automatic tensioner...I know my '97 with the 4-cyl does.

Is the belt in good condition, or is it glazed and cracked?

Unless the belt is brand-new, I'd probably replace it and then if the old one still looks decent, toss it behind the seat as a spare. Make sure the tensioner seems to move OK while you're changing the belt, and if it doesn't replace that, too.

My 95 with a 3.0 did the same thing. On mine it was the air compressor for the air conditioning. Not sure if the 4.0 and 3.0 have the same compressor, but mine would engage and then seize. I just unplugged the wiring harness.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
yea im sure i replaced the belt a few months back idk got to double check oh yeah, the a/c seized up a while back also so im dealing with that also

my dads 97, 3.0 did that. he replaced the idler and the tentioner and it went away, no a/c on his

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts