Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 ranger rough idle

:headbang: My ranger 4.0L V6 has been idling rough and dieing when stopped. it would clear up if i rev at about 1000rpm but wont idle itself. i was told it was upper manifold gasket so i replaced the set upper/lower/valve cover gasket since valve covers were leaking and intake was coated with gunk (crankcase vent hose had been off for few years apparently) i clean everything as best i could assembled and now its worse. IAC unit seems not to move ( i removed from intake engine revs high no movement in IAC with it mounted engine revs high IAC off/bypass hole blocked engine dies instantly thought i knew when i started now i have no clue any ideas would help greatly

blacksnapon

Staff member
Start with the IAC motor. Those are prone to failure. Vacuum leaks and egr valve sticking are another couple of possibilities.

truck also backfired and did not before i changed gaskets a vacuum leak would cause backfire maybe failing EDIS pack or cam position sensor cause backfire and vacuum causing idle problem leaning on IAC stuck open

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts