Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 F250HD solid axle swap questions

Hi all,
I have a 97 F250HD 351w 5spd, and the front axle is the ttb Dana 50. It needs some work, (read ball joints, and new leaf springs) and I don't like the ttb setup anyway so I want to do a solid axle swap.

I have a whole truck for a donor, with the same axle ratio. The donor is a 94 F350 7.3 idi diesel automatic.

I have been reading up on this swap as much as I can, but I still have a few questions.

1. Will the drive shaft from either truck work or do I need to get one from a 5 speed 351w f350?

2. I read that the 95-97s have bigger front brakes, is that true? If yes, can I just buy brake parts (rotors, calipers, pads, lines) for a 97 and bolt them on? Or should I stick with the smaller 94 brakes? Will there be any noticeable difference in braking if I use the 94 parts?

3. When the swap is complete, will the ttb stuff bolt up to the f350 so that I can sell it as a rolling parts truck? Or should I scrap the left overs?

Thanks for any help. I need to get this done soon because my inspection sticker is due soon.

primetime

sawmill slave
1. Kinda sorta, maybe. Dana 60 is longer and requires the driveshaft to be shortened. I used my original driveshaft and so far haven`t broken my t-case. Which leads to the other part. I bought the F-350 shaft when I bought my axle. This is important because the F-350 shaft has a double cardan joint on the t-case end so they don`t vibrate because of the extra height of the F-350 springs.

However, the shaft would`nt fit (E4OD v C-6). At 45 mph I have enough vibration to rattle the t-case lever. It`s worse in 4x. This leads to the next problem. You need a different yoke to run the 350 double cardan shaft. According to the shop I called about shortning the 350 shaft, Borg-Warner
used two styles of splines during these years, voluted, and convoluted. Whichever was handy at that particular time I guess. Which means they need my yoke in hand to get the right one. So that waits till summer.

The guy I talked to has a 95 F-150 lifted 6" with a double cardan shaft.

2.My axle came out of a 97 cab and chassis dually. Yes, the rotors where slightly bigger. I cannot speak for srw trucks. I used my 93 TTB rotors, the 97 calipers, and pads, and my 93 lines. My rotors were better, but here soon I will buy new 97 drw rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads and be happier about life.

3.I imagine you probably can. I wouldn`t waste the time though. You are keeping the one part that really makes an F-350 chassis valueable.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts