Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 f150 4x4 transmission removal

I'm trying to remove the transmission from my 97 4wheel drive. Can I take the transmission and transfer case out as one unit? is it easier? and if so do I need to remove the cross member holding the torsion bars?

blacksnapon

Staff member
You can remove it in one unit, but theres a clearance issue at the rear. It may be easier for you to remove in two pieces. If the crossmembers have bolts in them, remove 'em.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I have only had mine out a "few" times.... You can pull the whole thing out in one piece, but I suggest doing in in two as it is A LOT easier. There is only the trans mount that has to be removed. I also believe at one time on mine there may have been another cross brace in the back as well but it has been so long since I did mine the first time, I couldn't tell ya. I have a tendancy to leave things out upon install, so as to make the next time easier, if it doesn't hurt the structural aspect of the truck! LOL

Ford Truck Articles