Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

95 Ford Lightning Info

Hey all - this is not my normal generation of truck to hunt in but I have to expand my research a bit to take care if a problem in my 79.

I am looking for some support in regards to the rear end that was in 95 lightning, previous owner of my 79 took one and put it in and now I am chasing speedometer issues down.

If I have researched correctly, this generation of lightning used only 4.10.1 rear end, later generation of lightning switched to 3.73------ am I correct?????

All help is appreciated on identifying this rear end (I really don't want to have to jack it up and try to rotate and count)

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
How is your speedometer hooked up?

In 1995, there was a magnet speedometor sensor mounted on the top-center of the differential. I am curious what the previous owner did to make the mechanical speedometer work. Did he continue to use a sensor on the transmission?

Ryan

Yes the mechanical system is still in place, leaves tranny, goes up to a box on the drivers fender well under the hood (assume it is the cruise control) then out to the instrument panel

It functions but is WAY off, from what I have learned thus far I need to pull / swap the driven gear at the tranny for the proper size and I should be good to go- only part of the math to determine the size of the driven gear was the rear end and while they are cheap I have to order it in and was trying to figure out if this was the only ratio used that year

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Yes the mechanical system is still in place, leaves tranny, goes up to a box on the drivers fender well under the hood (assume it is the cruise control) then out to the instrument panel

It functions but is WAY off, from what I have learned thus far I need to pull / swap the driven gear at the tranny for the proper size and I should be good to go- only part of the math to determine the size of the driven gear was the rear end and while they are cheap I have to order it in and was trying to figure out if this was the only ratio used that year

you are once again correct....

to be honest.. i just dont see why the PO did this swap... took alot of work... when couldve just had a gear swap done for the same money and less time..

Yeah,,,,,,, now all I have to do is figure out which of the six gear sizes is the right one. (I guess I am down to 5 guesses since the one that is in there is wrong)

Theory would tell me that I would go with the one with the fewest teeth since the rear end is so low it would be turning fewer times (? - think I am right or backwards with my thought)

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Do you have a GPS or a friend who is a cop that might have a radar gun?

If you can find out your actual speed and then calculate back into it, you can determine the right ratio.

Ryan

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
you are once again correct....

to be honest.. i just dont see why the PO did this swap... took alot of work... when couldve just had a gear swap done for the same money and less time..

I can swap a rear in time you would pull cover. The lightning had a reinforced rear . Not that mattered. Just change u joint and new u bolts everything else easy to do . The 79 had a mechanical any way .

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yeah it shouldn't have been too much of a pain to do. Sounds like an easier route if you do not know how to properly set up gears.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Wow- I put 50k miles on a pickup with a speedometer/odometer that read ~18% high. Worked out the conversions and learned 'em by heart- never had much trouble knowing how fast I was going. (No fancy technology involved in determining the conversion factor, either- Dad followed behind me in his car while I accelerated from a stop, tooting the horn every 10 mph on his speedometer. I recorded my readings at each honk, and averaged the error together to come up with a conversion.)

At any rate...I'm thinking you want a gear with more teeth, not fewer. The lower (numerically higher) rear-end means your driveshaft/tailshaft is spinning faster at any given speed than a taller (numerically lower) rear end. Since the speedo on that truck is really measuring tailshaft speed, you want to decrease your speedo reading for a given tailshaft speed reading. A larger gear (more teeth) will turn slower than a smaller (fewer teeth) gear, thus slowing down your speedometer reading.

(I'm no expert in this stuff, though- and I've had a few this evening. I could very well be out in left field here.)

Well, had one or two myself, and explaining it that way does make sense- so how about my theory in reverse and go for the most teeth available of the speedo driven gears (since I noted most frequently only 6 options for this generation) seeing that the 4.10.1 is just about as low as you would go for that age?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Work out the percentage difference with the gears and tire size and apply that number to the driven gear.

I just remembered something from the other thread, revisited it, clicked around and ended up going to:
http://www.transmissioncenter.org/Ford_Speedometer_Gears.htm
Where I noted that they have a 23 tooth gear that is specifically for use with 4.10 rear end

The only veritable that I am not sure of, and honestly, do not want to have to break down the tranny and look (hence why I was trying to figure it out), is whether this is a 7 spline or not

But at the same time, found another website that warns against the 23 tooth, especially the white one, as it is supposedly best used with standard transmission and has a history if breakage, possibly should go to the 21 Orange and just figure out the difference

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Do what I do. Don't use a speedometer :D Mine hasn't worked for more than 5 minutes in 4 years.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts