Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

95 f15O gph

I have a 95 with a 3O2 im wondering what the gallons per hour would be idling. House current is off so im using it and a power inverter to power tv and basic other stuff

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Would depend on size of inverter and load

It is a 6OO watt 8OO watt max all im using now is the tv. Just wondering how long the truck will idle per gallon. My tv is the energy saver type flat panel.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'd guess that TV to maybe be a 2-300 watt load....dunno what that engine would consume per hour at idle....I'm guessing maybe .5 gallon....I'm basing that on the Espar's I run.
Keep in mind that just idleing won't produce a whole lot of power from the alternator...you might wind up drawing the truck battery down.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You'll end up killing the alternator.. Go bye a cheap generator..

Not at all Chris....you will toast the battery..alternator is what supplies the power for the vehicle past idle.
600 watt inverter would draw a maximum of around 50-60 amps at full load....maybe if you ran the inverter for hours, you might exceed the temp. rise of the alternator...but doubtful.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I ran a 2000w all day before and never hurt the batteries or the alternator. Done it many times. I rigged up a alternator to 8HP mower engine to keep the battery charged.

Well i had about 3 gallons in the truck. It ran out in an hour and a half. Hell i have a 95OO watt generator but the starter is fried. I took the top cover off and tried to pull start it. I have done this before but i guess i have gotten weaker in my old age. A 16 hp engine is very hard to pull start. btw my inverter only draws 2O amps at full load so i dont see a problem occuring with the batt or alt. Am i correct?

Oh i forgot to add that the power to the house is off cause the power co turned it off. So its safe to say i have no money for a starter or another generator. Just trying to get by till the bank sells our house

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Well i had about 3 gallons in the truck. It ran out in an hour and a half. Hell i have a 95OO watt generator but the starter is fried. I took the top cover off and tried to pull start it. I have done this before but i guess i have gotten weaker in my old age. A 16 hp engine is very hard to pull start. btw my inverter only draws 2O amps at full load so i dont see a problem occuring with the batt or alt. Am i correct?

Well...20A full load would suggest a maximum input of around 260 watts....so the output would be at best 230-240 watts assuming 90% ish efficiency.
Looking at generator ratings...as in non portable that have full sized engines.....that consumption is normal....it is what it is.

Ford Truck Articles