Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

95 f150 4x4 with 4r7Ow

I have a 95 with a 4r7Ow and it is bad. I was wondering what trans will fit in its place. I want a heavy duty replacement. Any info would be greatly apprected. Is it possible to put in a c6. I have push button 4x4

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have yet to see anything but e4od and a manual in the 92-96 4x4 trucks. So I bet its hard to find a used one.

The trans is tied into ecu for motor and wired together. A e4od may work . But I have no clue on differences of drivshafts as Ford liked to change things.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Your computer controls the transmission, so you'd need to swap in a computer with all the same equipment your truck has + programmed for a new transmission (E4OD.)

You could go with a non computer controlled transmission and put in a 5 speed ZF, but like Larry said I bet it takes a different driveshaft.

Ryan

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Fromm what I read the electric xsfer case is tied into the trans also. But swap at same time .

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I think the E4OD was the transmission of choice behind the 351, but they started putting the 4r70w behind the 5.0 at some point. I have no idea about the 300.

Ryan

thanks i had forgot about this thread. i was wondering if i could put a non compter controlled tranny in the truck? will it run right? i know i would need the tv cable and bracket and a vaccume tube. i would replace the drive shafts and t case also. to me it seems like a lot of money. but in the end would i have a stronger trans?

just wondering :headbang:

The AOD is not stronger than the 4R70w and E4OD so this is a step backwords. What exactly is the trans doing that makes you think it's fried anyway? As already stated these things are completely computer controlled so any sensor issue anywhere on the powertrain and including the speed sensor will force the computer into safe mode which results in what appears to be transmission misbehavior but is really a deliberate attempt to protect the transmission.

You also need to positively identify your transmission by finding the trans code on the calibration decal on the drivers door pillar, U = 4R70w and E = E4OD. The AODE was an offspring of the all mechanical AOD but it was never installed in a full size truck, and although there are documents and web data that seem to indicate that the AODE and 4R70w are different names for the same thing, these two trasnmissions share very little in common besides the exterior case shape.

Also note that while you could install an AOD in your truck, doing so will generate a mountain of error codes and you will have to jerryrig some things up just to get the engine to operate normally. The better solution would be to exchange the powertrain computer for one that doesn't include an electronically controlled transmission. Also note that the transfercase is in no way controlled by the powertrain computer, though you may have to change it along with the transmission, the chassis crossmember, and both driveshafts.

Last edited:
I was thinking of using the c 6 trans not the aod but i think i am going to get this one rebuilt. It is fried. It pulls forward in all gears even park reverse and neutral

It pulls forward in all gears even park reverse and neutral
That does sound wacked but I suggest you pull the codes to see what has been flagged, could be you just have a fried MLPS that isn't really shifting the trans through the gears anymore.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I was thinking of using the c 6 trans not the aod but i think i am going to get this one rebuilt. It is fried. It pulls forward in all gears even park reverse and neutral

That doesn't sound right... Someone with more knowledge about these than me will know for sure, but that sounds like a broken shift cable or something...

Update the trans case was cracked at the rear and cluches locked together due to over heating the trans. went to brooks auto sales in goochland got a used 1 with a 1 year parts and labor warrentee cost 960.00. got it installed in aug. driving good now. but got a vibroration at 45mph in od

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sounds like a u-joint getting ready to leave.

U joints good no play. Wheels moved and changed many times. I did find that i have a mis. And the steel ring in the transfer case where the drive shaft inserts has spun out and on the yoke im guessing the trans case out put is f'ed cause i remember seeing it when i installed the trans. But didnt know what it was for

Ford Truck Articles