Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

95 7.3 power loss then cluter and no start

all right so hi to every one i am new to thee site and i need some advice for my truck, I have a 1995 f250 with the 7.3 powerstroke and ever since i bought the truck it has had the some problem it would kinda stall out. and sometimes it wuld die then it would start rite up again. well the other day i pulled out of the king soopers and started to accelerate and i didnt have any power like it usualy does. well then it started to cluter real bad and then it died. well now it wont start and when i try to start it it tryes to start but it doesnt and it cluter real bad i need to get it up and running any ideas

wayfastxr

California Chapter member
maybe

There is a lift pump under the turbo. Mine went out once. Check on diesel in water seperator. If its empty might be lift pump, it has a check valve in it that fails........

thanks

Ya thats what i have been told i do not know much about diesels but i love my truck i have put alot of mone?y into it and it freaked me out i thought the motor blew out or something i will check and let you know just curius wer is the the fuel water seperater and if i don have to replace it do i have to take out the turbo

Last edited:
cear up my first post and some one please help

I wante to kind of clear up my first post with my problem, Wheni would drive it would spit or sputer and then sometimes dies. The other day i lost power and it sounded realy bad it was i gues you could say cluttering realy bad it was a horible sound someone please help???

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
clutter like it would on a cold morning start?
I say check the fuel water seperator....
Tryin to remember where the fuel filter is on those trucks, take a look at that too...

horible cluter

No not the the cluter in the morning it was like that but ill say around 40 times worse than that i will check all that you said and we will see what happens. another ? is if i pop the vavle on the fuel pool and emty it and then i turn the key on and it fills up then the fuel pumps are working correctly or no. if it fills that might just be the fuel pump in the tank filling it and there is not enough presure to start is what i thinking it will be but i dont have a clue

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
you only have one pump, the one in the valley of the engine. how many miles are on the engine? it sounds like a fuel starvation issue but there are a few other things to check. it could be a bad tank selector switch, either sending unit damaged or stopped up not allowing fuel to be pulled, or it could be injectors that are too old causing to much fuel spikes or allowing compression to come back up through the injector.

230***

the truck has around 230*** i have put a new turbo new exost and new traning and t case also a newly rebuilt rear end i hope it not the injetors they are way to expensensev

wayfastxr

Been there done that

you only have one pump, the one in the valley of the engine. how many miles are on the engine? it sounds like a fuel starvation issue but there are a few other things to check. it could be a bad tank selector switch, either sending unit damaged or stopped up not allowing fuel to be pulled, or it could be injectors that are too old causing to much fuel spikes or allowing compression to come back up through the injector.

Took my 7.3 to Ford, they said my problem was a switch for the tanks,CPS and replaced all of that. Tried to start it 2 days later and nothing. Found a International Tractor Mech, he said bring it by, I did and he showed me the lift pump. It had been loseing the check valve once in a while and allowing the diesel to leak ou tof the water seperater.

wayfastxr

Water seperater is ontop,center of motor. You unscrew cover and check filter. There is a drain petcock on the bottom. You will find it. Good luck

blacksnapon

Staff member
fuel pump #5

Top-2_edited3.jpg
high pressure oil pump # 41

is there more

hi i was owndering if you have the rest of the info on the that diagram i would realy like to have it also if you have any more diagrams for this kind of truck would be nice to have around. also i was wondering if this pump is machanical. another thing is it true that if i am not carefull i could drop the plunger in the motor. I had this one machanic tell me to unblot it and then let it push its self out so i dont drop the plunger in the motor

Last edited:
please help

I am in the middle of taking my fuel pump out and i was wondering if i have to take out the fuel pool because i cant get the botom hose out so should i take it out please some one help

blacksnapon

Staff member
Removal

Remove the turbocharger. Refer to Section 03-04F.
Remove the fuel line banjo fitting bolt at fuel pump (9350).

Item Part Number Description
1 — Fuel Supply Hose
(Part of 9350)
2 — Copper Gasket
(Part of 9350)
3 — Fuel Supply Tube Nuts
(2 Req'd) (Part of 9350)
4 — Fuel Supply Banjo Bolt
(Part of 9350)
5 Fuel Pump

Remove the fuel line fittings at the rear of the cylinder heads.

1 9H334 Fuel Outlet Hose
2 Fuel Pump
3 — Fuel Pump Mounting Bolts
(2 Req'd) (Part of 9350)
4 — Fuel Supply Tube Nuts
(2 Req'd) (Part of 9350)
5 — Fuel Rail Supply Tube
(Part of 9350)
6 — Fuel Tube Banjo Bolt
(Part of 9350)
7 9H334 Fuel Inlet Hose

Remove the fuel line assembly.
Loose the three hose clamps at the fuel pump fittings.
Disconnect the water drain hose at the fuel filter.
Remove the fuel filter bolts and position the fuel filter forward.
Remove the two fuel pump bolts and lift the fuel pump up out of the crankcase bore.
Remove the fuel pump tappet from the crankcase bore.

blacksnapon

Staff member
addition to post 11

1 9155 Fuel Filter
2 Fuel Tube Clamp
3 9324 Fuel Filter Supply Hose
4 Fuel Shield
5 Fuel Pump
6 9N693 Fuel Pump Seal
7 — Fuel Pump Tappet (Part of 9350)
8 Fuel Return Hose
9 Fuel Return Hose
10 9C330 Fuel Pump Supply Tube
11 — Fuel Supply and Return Tube Clamp (Part of 9C330)
12 Fuel Return Tube
13 — Fuel Supply and Return Hose Clamp (Part of 9C330)
14 — Fuel Pump Fitting Gasket (Part of 9A555)
15 — Fuel Pump Outlet Bolt (Part of 9A555)
16 Fuel Injection Tube
17 — 45 Degree Street Elbow (Part of 9A555)
18 — 45 Degree Street Elbow (Part of 9A555)
19 — Oil Deflector (Part of 9F593)
20 — Bolt (Part of 9F593)
21 Fuel Injector
22 — Fuel Injector Hold-Down Clamp (Part of 9F593)
23 — Backup Ring (Part of 9F593)
24 — Cushion Ring (Part of 9F593)
25 — Fuel Injector Upper Seal (Part of 9F593)
26 — Fuel Injector Middle Seal (Part of 9F593)
27 — Cushion Ring (Part of 9F593)
28 — Fuel Injector Lower Seal (Part of 9F593)
29 — Fuel Injector Gasket (Part of 9F593)
30 9N693 Elbow and Plug O-Ring
31 9E629 90 Degree High Pressure Hose Elbow
32 9K260 Fuel Line Sleeve
33 9N653 High Pressure Manifold Supply Hose Clamp
34 Fuel Return Hose
35 — Fuel Return Connector (LH) (Part of 9D308)
36 9A332 High Pressure Oil Pump Supply Hose
37 — Elbow (Part of 9A543)
38 9C968 Injection Pressure Regulator
39 9K319 Connector
40 9417 High Pressure Oil Pump Flange Gasket
41 9A543 High Pressure Oil Pump Assembly
42 9K260 Fuel Line Sleeve
43 9N653 High Pressure Oil Pump Supply Hose Clamp
44 9N320 90 Degree Fuel Return Elbow (RH)
45 9J323 High Pressure Oil Pump Supply Hose
46 9N332 90 Degree High Pressure Hose Elbow
47 9K024 Supply Rail Plug with O-Ring
48 390147-S Straight Connector
49 Fuel Return Hose
50 9K260 Fuel Line Sleeve
51 9N320 Fuel Return Hose Elbow
52 9N320 Fuel Return Hose Elbow
53 9K260 Fuel Line Sleeve
54 9324 Fuel Filter Water Drain Hose
55 9L273 Water Drain Tube
56 Fuel Tube Clamp
57 9W310 Water Drain Tube Clip

almost there

Well thanks to every one for there advice but i have the new pump in and almost done, I thought this was going to be a couple hour job but not so it took me 7 hours witha couple breaks to go to the store. i also did it with out taking out my turbo but the only problem is i cant get it to seal yet at the realy big bolt but i will go back at it tommoro and get it done so hopefully i can get it sealed any further advise to get it to seal much apiciated

Im Done

smilieeatndrink Well thanks guys for all the advice i got it done finaly. I had used a hammer and a screw driver to get the bolt out for the fuel line adn i finaly got the 1 1/4 inch wrench and i got it tight. I hade beeted up the blot alot and it would not seal at first than i put some teflon tape and tightend it with the wranch. it ,ade it so much easyer if i had the wrench th hole time it would have taken half the time. I am glad i didnt have to take out both my turbos that would have beeen a night mare. well thanks guys i am officialy ready and open for buisnes thanks, Nathansmilieeatndrink

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
smilieeatndrink Well thanks guys for all the advice i got it done finaly. I had used a hammer and a screw driver to get the bolt out for the fuel line adn i finaly got the 1 1/4 inch wrench and i got it tight. I hade beeted up the blot alot and it would not seal at first than i put some teflon tape and tightend it with the wranch. it ,ade it so much easyer if i had the wrench th hole time it would have taken half the time. I am glad i didnt have to take out both my turbos that would have beeen a night mare. well thanks guys i am officialy ready and open for buisnes thanks, Nathansmilieeatndrink

you have twin turbos?

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
as far as turbo(s) im pretty sure thats a typo.

as far as the lift pump goes, alot of time when that goes out youll end up with fuel in your oil. so id change that.

if you still have an issue, there should be two relays near the top of the engine, usually on the cowl (im going off medium duty btw) that controls the ICP sensors and other crap, replace both of them.

Believe it or not, but it has fixed a sputtering, white smoke (unburnt fueld/cold engine issue) for me before.

anthony

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts