Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'94F150 sat for 5 1/2 yrs

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Ready to get it going. I'd appreciate some advice, suggestions, and warnings from your experiences! So far, I've replaced a few brake lines and the e-brake cables, done a 4 wheel brake job, changed coolant, oil, brake and power steering fluids. Rad hoses and belts appear to be in good shape, fuel lines previously replaced, and installed a new battery. The 302 purrs like a kitten, but haven't road tested it yet. What say you, fellas?

If it purrs like a kitten, let it run. However, if it surges or runs rough STOP! Get rid of the fuel. With ethenol added and condensation issues, it is not uncommon to get moisture/water in the fuel tank. I had this happen to a boat motor. it ran rough and surged. I thought "it will pass". My brain justifed it passing. However, when a connecting rod broke (water does not compress the way fuel does) I discoved it didn't work the way my brain thought it would:(

Hopefully this will be a non issue for you.

Joe

Fellro

Staff member
A can of Sea Foam fuel cleaner/stabilizer will help cleanup the varnish and crud. If it sounds good and moves good, I would run it to see what it calls for next.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
5 year old gas can cause lots of issues especially on an efi vehicle...

Hopefully it didn't sit to long as to have the fuel evaporate and gum up the injectoin system...

If possible, drain the gas and start new. Then fire and go from there...

Yeah if i was in your position, i would definatly consider gettin that gas outta there, and let it run, maybe rev it a bit, and for giggles replace the fuel filter, if its been sittin that long, dont want water in your engine, like jake said, water doesnt compress, it will make things rust like hell inside, my buddy's truck litreally blew up cause of water in his fuel and it went to the engine.

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Thanks...good advice all 'round.

Will definately swap out those plugs...probaly with Motocrafts, and keep a close eye on the belts and hoses. The gas tank, though not much was in there, will need to be dropped 'cuz it leaks, so might as well clean it out as well.

Fellro

Staff member
If it has started to rust on the inside, don't waste you time on it, the rust will keep coming. If it leaks, chances are you will be replacing it. You can pick up new ones easy enough.

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Front tank leaking...

Thanks for the info, Fellro. The tank appears to be the plastic variety, and leaking from the top somewhere. Do you recommend replacing it out of hand, or trying to locate/repair the leak. Also, if you don't mind me picking your brain, would a tank from the U-pull yard be worth the low$$ gamble? In other words, is this leaking such a common problem that one is best buying new?

Fellro

Staff member
Ah, ok, if plastic, no rust issues, but may need a new hanger. I doubt the plastic tank has the problem, it will be associated with the fuel lines on top. I have seen those rust out. That is what will be referred to as the hanger assembly. You can also get it as a full pump assembly. Is it a dual or single tank?

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Its a duel tank, but the main tank seems to have been a leaker for years; the metal straps and the spare tire anchor were very much corroded. As for the plastic tank,I kinda suspected it would be either a gasket around the pump or one of the lines. I'll drop the tank Mon or Tues to see which. Will also consider a pump from the U-pull yard. Thanks again...

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
for all the more a pump is . Get on line and buy 1. You have no clue how long its sat or old it is . As for tank same same . They all go bad . And can get new one for less than $100 here.

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
You guys are shur convincing...

Okay, Loser, I'll nix the dumb idea of getting such an important part as a fuel pump from the scrap yard should I need one; and I'll add Seafoam to the gas tank, and replace the fuel filter (good advice, Joe). Also, I expect to be getting a new hanger assembly at the least (thanks Fellro).
Still haven't road tested it yet, as I have to replace a few more brake lines, and boil-out the rad. As long as Ole Man Winter keeps pretending he's Spring, I'll do that Tuesday.

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
dropping the gas tank...

Wow...you got a lot of room to work underneath that high-rise truck, Bobby. With mine, everytime I go underneath to work on it I wind-up gettin' better gas mileage 'cuz I loose another half-pound of rust! Gotta love them Michigan winters and all the salt!

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Well, it's running. Replaced a cracked tailpiece and worn slip yoke. Brakes and brake lines are all new...and flushed all the fluids. Have a leaking gas tank still and the e-brake cables need replaced (had to cut 'em during brake job). Getting poor gas mileage, so I'll pull the plugs and inspect the cap and wires. Thanks for all the advice I received.

Ford Truck Articles