Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

94 explorer

i was at the gas station getting gas and when i started up my truck it made a ticking sound then i shut it off and started it back up did the same thing gave it alittle gas to see if it was the engine it ticked even faster with gas applied. so i shut it off and opened the hood and see if anything was caught with the fan nothing. so i started it back up and it didnt tick anymore. did maybe one of my lifters sticked? also my exhause is making a raddleing noise so i wiggled the exhause and it looks like its comming from the sheild i touched to sheild and it doesnt feel loose. any ideas? smiliegitrdone

A sticking lifter or a spark plug going bad can make that ticking noise. Make sure all the spark plug cables are firmly on the plugs, too.

If it has been a while since you checked or changed your oil, now might be a good time for that too, as sticking lifters are often cured with the correct amount of fresh oil in the crankcase!

my oil only has 2k miles. but for some reason my truck make this clicking noise when i started it so i shut it off and it didnt happen again and i drove it later on that day nothing. plus it could of been i was really low on gas. right now my truck is only 1/2 quart low so im adding a 1/2 qt in tomorrow for my 1 1/2 drive tomorrow. thanks for the reply

blacksnapon

Staff member
Some of the 4.0 SOHC engines are prone to that noise. It amounts to the timing chain tensioners not oiling up fast enough.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
the motor was replaced with a newer motor i beleive cause my belt is for a 96

Those 4.0 SOHC motors all had the same tensioner issue, they all make noise at some point. I just checked the recall 00M12 was for the 97-2000 motors. But could be the same concern.

Ford Truck Articles