Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

94-96 Engines

I am looking to purchase a 94,95, or 96, Ford F-150 or F-250. Most used trucks in this category have between 125-225K miles.

For longevity, a good engine is key.

QUESTIONS
1) What 94,95,96 engine is the best for longevity.
2) How many miles should one of these engines last?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Gas engines?

There were 3 gas engines available in these trucks, none of which I would feel nervous about owning. These were truly some of the best engineered and reliable trucks Ford has ever made.

Inline 300ci 6 cylinder - Least power, most reliable and longest longevity, marginally better fuel mileage, but surprisingly torquey for a 6 cyl.

V8 302 8 cylinder - It's the same 302 in the Mustangs and Crown Victorias, but has a truck camshaft in it to make it more torquey and less horsepowery. This would probably be my last pick in an engine, but there's nothing wrong with it.

V8 351 8 cylinder - Very similar setup to the 302, but has a longer piston stroke. It provides more torque than the other 2 engines and has a good track record of reliability.

Depending on the purpose of the truck, the best bets would be the 300 or 351. If it was strictly a work truck, I'd be tempted by the 300. If you wanted to have a little more fun or if you will be hauling a few thousand pounds regularly, the 351 is going to be a better fit.

Ryan

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
As stated above they are all good.
I have 480,000 on a 300, 220,000 on a 5.0, and the speedo on the 5.8 truck has been broken for 10 years, so who knows what's on it

My son's 460 had 300,000 when he pulled it and rebuilt it

The diesels came with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, so that speaks for itself

Any one of the power plants are well supported by ford, and aftermarket, so even if they break, they are simple to get parts for.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Any of those engines should be able to get you to 250k...after that, you're living on borrowed time. I wouldn't hesitate to own a truck with any of the engines Ryan listed. However, I am of the opinion that no full size truck should have ever come with a 302, I've had a few with different gears and transmissions and tires...and I've never been impressed, and in stock form I feel it's only marginally more powerful than a 300 but less torquey. So if you want a stump puller, go 300...if want to be able to power brake, go 351.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Any of those engines should be able to get you to 250k...after that, you're living on borrowed time. I wouldn't hesitate to own a truck with any of the engines Ryan listed. However, I am of the opinion that no full size truck should have ever come with a 302, I've had a few with different gears and transmissions and tires...and I've never been impressed, and in stock form I feel it's only marginally more powerful than a 300 but less torquey. So if you want a stump puller, go 300...if want to be able to power brake, go 351.

Agreed. The 5.0 was the downfall of my Bronco.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
You know, in a truck your size Chris, it might not be bad. If you're talking about a supercab or a 250, that 5.0 is really out of place.

Ryan
I mostly run 302 (16 out of 22 trucks) . I used run right with my friends trucks and get better MPg than 351 . And thats in super cab long bed 4x4. its only when loaded the 351 pro forms better . But the extra MPG goes along way to offset it

I have one of each now . I have a 300-6 and it gets right along with 3;55 rears
and a 351 equipped company truck 12 MPG on a reg cab long bed 4x4.

Around here you dont see many with over 170000 with out having been rebuilt

To each his own . If the e4od was never made I'd still be buying and selling them

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I would argue almost everything said in this thread.

300...very under powered ive had an 86 f-150 with 2 different 300s in it for 12 years. Very slow. Can mob around town no prob but slow into traffic. Also.can mob trails very easily. Freeway/hills..forget it. Gets good mileage

302. Very snappy compared to the 300. Lining my 85 f-150 up and my 86 F-150 up the 302 would eat it for breakfast. Mileage is good too. Freeway/hills no prob.

Both trucks have seen there fair share of towing.

The 86 with manual tranny id prefer to tow with, but only because the 85 has an AOD. The 300 will pull lookout pass (think steep n deep) with the boat on or empty in 3rd gear about 45 mph.tge 302 will pull it at 75 or faster empty and about 55 mph with my 75 blazer in tow with a 454/38's/big axles loaded down with tools for race day. Both trucks are very similar. Major differences would be the 300 has a manual trans and the 302 is auto

I think the 302s are very under estimated and i think 300s are very over estimated.

Like i said i have both in my driveway right now. I drive the 302 all over as a daily driver i love to drive it. I only drive the 300 when i don't want to tear up my diesel in the woods, it is grandpa slow.

Well...that and some broke my window out and stole the seats out of the 300 truck. :(

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I should also add that i think the 302 could out run my 6.0 diesel...all the trucks lined up the diesel would be beating the guts out of the 300 and the 5.0 would be pulling away from the diesel until about 80mph until the diesel started to shine and leave em both in a cloud of smoke loaded or empty.

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

Spidey2011

Pacific Northwest Chapter member
Gas engines?

There were 3 gas engines available in these trucks, none of which I would feel nervous about owning. These were truly some of the best engineered and reliable trucks Ford has ever made.

Inline 300ci 6 cylinder - Least power, most reliable and longest longevity, marginally better fuel mileage, but surprisingly torquey for a 6 cyl.

V8 302 8 cylinder - It's the same 302 in the Mustangs and Crown Victorias, but has a truck camshaft in it to make it more torquey and less horsepowery. This would probably be my last pick in an engine, but there's nothing wrong with it.

V8 351 8 cylinder - Very similar setup to the 302, but has a longer piston stroke. It provides more torque than the other 2 engines and has a good track record of reliability.

Depending on the purpose of the truck, the best bets would be the 300 or 351. If it was strictly a work truck, I'd be tempted by the 300. If you wanted to have a little more fun or if you will be hauling a few thousand pounds regularly, the 351 is going to be a better fit.

Ryan
You're forgetting the 460, since he said 150 OR 250. :p

My 460 is in a lifted 1-ton with oversized tires. I have no idea what the actual gearing is, but it came stock with 3.55's. I can't imagine those are still in there since it feels as torquey as it does with those big tires. lol.

Anyway, that 460 will pull anything I hook it to, and maintain the same crappy mileage I get without a trailer. :rofl: If you're looking for a truck that can pull, diesel or 460 is the way to go. My Dad has a 351, and while it holds it's own, it just doesn't have the low-end torque for pulling heavy loads.

If you want a DD or a work truck for light loads, the 300 straight six is the way to go. Darn good engine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts