Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

92 F150 Tachometer Install/Speedo Issues

Just wanted to make a note to everyone about my tach installation in my 92 F150 5.8 auto 2w/d. In the process of restoring my truck, (replaced almost everything except the bare cab shell and the frame rails)! I decided to add an instrument cluster with the tachometer option. All seemed to be well but I soon discovered that the charging system was not doing it's job. When isolating the alternator from the regulator, it became apparent that the alternator would charge once it was excited during the test. I was optomistic and hoped that my charging problems were now just a bad memory. Well, I guess it takes a little more than optomisum to get positive results. When I shut the engine off and started it again, it was apparent that the alternator would have to be excited by using the ground method each time it was started. Upon further research, I found that instrument clusters for gen 9 ARE NOT ALL INTERCHANGABLE. My instrument cluster was out of a 1994. I think there are 3 (gas) instrument cluster versions: 92-93 -- 94-95 -- 96 and the year can be identified by looking at the part number. I eventually located a perfect cluster out of a 1992 F150 gas V8 auto , (with a tach). I paid $140.00 for it. I think that was excessive but I just wanted to get this problem behind me. Nor did want to take any more time looking for that item. It seemed like gen 9 instrument clusters with a tachometer option that I could locate was the wrong year group or it was made for a diesel application! I did find that the printed circuit layout from the 92 vs the 94 was considerably different, especialy at the charge circuit. Someone in our FTF group may want to explain in better detail exactly what changes were made and why..... I plugged it in and was just happy to find that the 1992 clusterworked and the alternator now worked without going through the ground/test proceedure. ....good enough for me! I installed the 92 cluster and all gauges and the tach worked like new!
At first, I was beginning to think that a tach was not in my future. In 1993, I ordered a new 1994 F150 5.8.....it was delivered to me as I ordered it....EXCEPT a tach! WTF!! I now have been assembling a truck identical to the 94 I once owned/ordered. I thought, "this clone truck WILL HAVE A TACH". It became an obsession. It NOW DOES HAVE A WORKING TACH!! I guess you would call that a VICTORY. BUTTTTT.....There appears to be a continuation to this saga.... During my first test drive from this restoration/clone project I discovered that the speedometer and the odometer would only work intermittently. I have not had the time to follow up on that problem but if I remember correctly, there is a sensor, (speed sensor), in the rear end that may be bad or it maybe something as easy as a poor connection. A good inspection of all of the related parts will tell the story. I hope that it does not come back to haunt me from the &^*#$% instrument cluster swap. If anyone has further advise I am listening. I should add that the transmission is not getting the right information to hit it's shift points properly. That leads me to think I may find the problem/s at the sensor or it's connections.
There seems to be a few other electrical bug... but I will continue to attack them one piece at a time. Perfection is my goal......Not for ME just for my truck!

I will also add that I do have a perfectly good 1994 instrument cluster available to sell with a tachometer that will not fit my application.. I think it will work on a 94-95 application. I would like to recover some of my purchase price from the 92 cluster. What is a fair price???? $100.00 or so??? You tell me.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Every so often I message those eBay sellers that say fit this!!! And tell them differences . Most just sell anyway.

There r lots of posts about it . 92 -93/ 94-95/ 96-97 tho there is some over lap in the 95 and 96 .

Changes air bag light for 94 95 96 ish . Then switch to OBDII (I think in some of the 96 trucks . Possible MAF causes changes .

Glad you found one for the truck. I have 30 or so in basement

Yea, it works now. Just another one of the learning curves we experience with a near miss.
The sensor seemed to do the trick....with only ONE exception in about 200+ miles.
Beware of the unscrupuless seller on ebay, I usually do my homework before I buy...even more so now.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts