Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

92-94 IDI vs. 94-97 Powerstroke

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey guys,

As I plan on purchasing another 9th gen, I want this one to be a diesel. In terms of horsepower, torque, and aftermarket potential for more total power, which would be a better choice? I'm trying to learn all I can about diesel engines.

Also, does anyone have any statistics for the HP and Torque outputs of each engine?

Any information is much appreciated! smilieFordlogo

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
You'll want a PSD. The IDI is mechanically injected, so the must tuning you could do would be turning up the fuel pump. The PSD can be tuned.

Buuuuuuut, you can't beat the sound of an IDI clanking away!

Fellro

Staff member
It is easier to upgrade a Stroker, just plug a chip in and you get a jump. Cost wise, the Stroker will be much higher for parts, but they are also more common.

Austin, there is more that can be done to an IDI than just cranking on the pump, but it takes much more effort to do.

Last edited:

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Depends what youre planning to do and how much you wanna spend, if you wanna just get in and haul some *** then a powerstroke would be for you

460Trucker

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I will be on the hunt for a powerstroke. In terms of what I am looking to do, it would just be a performance exhaust and a chip of some sort.

460Trucker

Try and stay away from the 94 and 95 PSD if power is what you want. I don't think the 215HP will scratch that itch....

Thanks for the information on that. I'm actually shocked that 215 is the stock HP on that. PSD's are 444 CI right?

primetime

sawmill slave
Yep, 215 hp stock. Torque was about 425 if I remember right. I do believe the 7.3 IDI was rated at 185 hp, and the 7.3 IDI turbos were rated for 195 hp. As for the low stock horsepower, they are diesels, they where low revving torque engines that are supposed to last a long time and get you there efficiently. It wasn`t until the last several years that we started seeing the huge power numbers come into play.

As for modding one, you can throw a turbo, and a bigger pump and injectors at a 7.3 IDI and you will get close to 300 hp at the flywheel, and it will be a nice powerful truck that will do well. Beyond that and you need some pretty good fab and engine building knowledge or a bag of cash to get more. There is guy over at Powerstroke Nation that is making about 360 hp at the rear wheels with a 6.9.

Powerstrokes have a lot more stuff available for them, and more potential. But the sky isn`t the limit. The stock injectors are smaller, and they aren`t intercooled. Beyond a chip, exhaust, and a cold air intake it takes a lot of stuff to make reliable power with them that won`t melt them down. Of course the same can be said for an IDI.

It really boils down to what you want and can find for a price you are willing to pay. Clean Gen 9 diesels usually carry a hefty premium. I like them both, but will more than likely try to get into a Powerstroke for my next truck just to play with one.

460Trucker

Yep, 215 hp stock. Torque was about 425 if I remember right. I do believe the 7.3 IDI was rated at 185 hp, and the 7.3 IDI turbos were rated for 195 hp. As for the low stock horsepower, they are diesels, they where low revving torque engines that are supposed to last a long time and get you there efficiently. It wasn`t until the last several years that we started seeing the huge power numbers come into play.

As for modding one, you can throw a turbo, and a bigger pump and injectors at a 7.3 IDI and you will get close to 300 hp at the flywheel, and it will be a nice powerful truck that will do well. Beyond that and you need some pretty good fab and engine building knowledge or a bag of cash to get more. There is guy over at Powerstroke Nation that is making about 360 hp at the rear wheels with a 6.9.

Powerstrokes have a lot more stuff available for them, and more potential. But the sky isn`t the limit. The stock injectors are smaller, and they aren`t intercooled. Beyond a chip, exhaust, and a cold air intake it takes a lot of stuff to make reliable power with them that won`t melt them down. Of course the same can be said for an IDI.

It really boils down to what you want and can find for a price you are willing to pay. Clean Gen 9 diesels usually carry a hefty premium. I like them both, but will more than likely try to get into a Powerstroke for my next truck just to play with one.

Excellent info here man. Much appreciated.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I believe the numbers jumped to 250/500 around 96/97. I had a brand new 97 F350 CC and could not believe the power and ride it had.

primetime

sawmill slave
I believe the numbers jumped to 250/500 around 96/97. I had a brand new 97 F350 CC and could not believe the power and ride it had.

I know that was the case with the 99 Super Duty trucks due to injectors (110cc vs 95cc), higher Injector Driver voltage (110 vs 100 I believe), an intercooler, and I believe a different turbo and up pipes. Cali trucks in I THINK 96-7 had what they call split shot injectors which I think are bigger. Maybe Canadian trucks got them also. Powerstokes only improved year to year, and I`m not familiar enough to say what was what.

primetime

sawmill slave
I looked through my collection this afternoon and found a Ford sales brochure for the 97 HD trucks. According to it the Powerstrokes were still making 215/425. Now, that does`nt mean that Ford did`nt maybe tweak them or make them more snorty with some tuning as the model years went by.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Could be Justin...I might be remembering the last one that we had...they say the memory is the first to go...or hair...or sight...hmmmm...:headbang:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

460Trucker

460Trucker

460Trucker

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts