Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

91 F-350 E4od TC probs.

Finally back after my brief foolishness with somehow believing I could drive a 68 Mustang instead of a truck. lol. The ponys gone and got replaced with a 91 F350 XLT Lariat Crew dually, with a 7.3 and a brand spankin new( well 1200 miles) E4OD. I love it so far but recently it occurred to me that the torque converter has been locking immediately with the arrival of 2nd gear, and then never really unlocking again. The only reason I noticed was it has been recently(last two days or so) been intermittently unlocking but then locking right back up again. I feel pretty certain its a short somewhere but have no idea where to start.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Gabe

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sounds like electrical to me. The TC clutch is electrically controlled by only 1 wire which waits for a ground signal from the computer. When it gets that ground signal it locks up and receives some sort of return signal to the computer to confirm that it has locked (else if the computer doesn't see the confirm signal it will put the tranny into limp mode). Not sure how this return signal gets back to the computer but I believe the lock-up signal wire is purple with a yellow tracer IIRC. You should be able to find it in the engine compartment somewhere up near the brake booster.

Well were off to a good start, thanks Chris! I'd still like to know whatever else anybody can tell me bout this setup though...

First step is always.... pull the codes.

So theres not necessarily a cel on for there to be a code in the system?

Ok cool. Can anybody point me in the right direction of how to check the codes? (I do have the haynes manual for the 80-96s if thatll be any help, dont know if the diesels are different).

Gabe

Think I can swing that. Ill let ya know what I get

Allright well after attempting exactly what it says on above link, and after thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that my CEL is merely a glorified low or no oil pressure light. I dont know if it makes a difference but this is, as i said in the op, a 7.3 idi. I havent tried the test light option yet so well see if that works.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Allright well after attempting exactly what it says on above link, and after thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that my CEL is merely a glorified low or no oil pressure light. I dont know if it makes a difference but this is, as i said in the op, a 7.3 idi. I havent tried the test light option yet so well see if that works.

no it alerts you of any codes that are in the computer....

Ha I realize that but when I go out to crank the truck, I turn the key to "on", glow plugs cycle, Cel comes on never goes out till the oil pressure gauge moves(about a second after the motor fires.).
Having said this it never flashed or even blinked once when I grounded the STI connector.

Ill try the test light direction and see if that goes anywhere.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yep.. the reason it does that is to show that the light is functioning.. in many states inspections, they check to make sure that function is working, or else fail even if the codes dont come up with anything...

Ha ok if yall say so:) It just seems coincidental that the exact second the oil pressure gauge moves is the same instant the light goes out.

Hopefully tommrow I can try pulling codes with a test light.

On a side note, there are two relays right there by the two 'puter connectors, I believe one is for the trailer lights but any idea on the other?

My rear abs light is also on but I dont think that has anything to do with my current issues.

Lol, ok so after further investigation it seems my actual CEL is never coming on. the light I had assumed was the CEL is apparently an oil pressure warning light. It has a little engine picture and says "check", however right next to it there is a light that says "check engine" and it never comes on, yes there is a bulb and yes I tried a known good bulb. So Im not sure whats up there, but Ill dig around somemore and see what I can find.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts