Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

90 F 350 Ball Joint Issue

Ok guys im having a hard time finding the correct lower ball joints for my 90 F 350 4x4 with 460 engine. Each one that i find or have been supplied has a a bolt and nut. What is in my truck is different. it has a piece that bolts up from the bottom of the arm with a pin if you would say machiend on it. i have attached some pictures of the piece that bolts into the arm and the part thats in the lower arm which im assuming is the ball joint. Any help would be awesome.

Attachments

• IMG00674-20111106-0804.jpg
  • IMG00673-20111106-0804.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
It really isn't a ball joint, but a king pin. Unfortunately, for the most part I can't seem to find one. Rock Auto had something kind of similar... It has to be looked up in the steering section rather than under suspension. A ball joint actually has a ball that is contained by the casing that can move on most all directions, which is why it is called a ball joint, while a king pin will only allow movement around the axis of the pin. For a monobeam axle, the king pin is perfectly acceptable, while other applications require more freedom of movement. Just odd that it is hard to find replacement parts. Essentially you need the bushings.

Not entirely sure this is what you need, but seems along the right track: RAYBESTOS Part # 5352000, MOOG Part # K6652

Last edited:
ok this has helped me. the parts you listed are the upper bushings so thank you for that. still have not been able to find the lower bushing kit. so my next question is how could i find out what axle is in the truck. acorrding to the haynes book i have this truck should have a ball joint front end. so if i can find what axle it really is then o think i will be able to get a breakdown some where and find my parts.

If all else fails go to a Ford Parts dealer.. They will be sure to take 30 minutes and pull it up on the fische...then tell you "not currently available" or "discontinued"....but, then again, you might luck out...at least you will get the correct part #.

primetime

sawmill slave
Pirate4x4 has a write up on servicing Dana 60 king pins. I believe they also have some links to repair kits.
If my info is correct, 86-91 were king pin, and 92 up were ball joint.
As for being able to identify your axle, somewhere on the long side axle tube are some stamped numbers, these are the Dana-Spicer bill of materials numbers. You can use these to find out what axle you have.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts