Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

9" open to limited slip?

That why I'm going to the TrueTracs which are not a locker they are a no clutch type limited slip unit, here's a link. I have never been a big fan of the clutch type LS units, they work but they do wear out and they are not tolerant of shock loads.

The TrueTracs are undoubtedly more $$$ than the LockRite unit but if you have time to save I think your $$$ would be better spent on something that suits your driving style more than the LockRite. Whether that means a clutch type LS unit or a TrueTrac style unit at the end of the day it's your $$$ and your decision.

BTW I've run clutch type LS units in all the rear wheel drive vehicles I've owned and had to rebuild them all from time to time, I've got nothing but good things to say about the Auburn product line as far as the clutch type units go, I just think the TrueTracs are a better product and better suited to my needs. You may be able to find a good clutch style unit at a wrecker for a reasonable price and put some new clutches and springs in it and be totally satisfied with what you get out of it YelloThumbUp

Maybe so. They are close to $500 at summit racing. This whole thing is a wait and see if I can get the cash. Medical bills keep coming in. :(

The Detroit are no doubt a better unit. The main reason I went Lock rite was the price. Plus I did not want a clutch type limited slip.
My lock rite is not real harsh. It came with a set of stiff springs and soft springs. I used the soft springs.
You can hear it ratchet during a turn and if you give too much gas the inside tire does chirp in a turn. Easy to learn to drive it though.
It does give absolute positive traction when it locks up though, no doubt about it.
I was really surprised at how much more traction I had in the grass or gravel with this thing.
If money had not been a consideration I may have went with something different
clint

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Well, I now understand how the clutch type work, but when you guys say that you decided to go another route, how does that LSD work? Does it need aux. power?

Ryan

Well, I now understand how the clutch type work, but when you guys say that you decided to go another route, how does that LSD work? Does it need aux. power?

Ryan

I would not recommend LSD while driving.... the snakes coming out of the dash can really distract you LOL :rofl2:

Seriously though.... There are 2 other types of limited slip units being discussed right now, one is the automatic locker (LockRite) the other is the TrueTrac by Detroit. Of the two only the TrueTrac is really a limited slip.

The lockers are essentially a dog clutch style unit (if you're familiar with what a dog clutch is). Here's great explanation of how they work

The TrueTrac works on a different principle here's a link to a good article that actually discusses all the types but nicely explains how the TrueTrac works.

The only units that require some kind of auxiliary power sourse are the full manual lockers such as the ARB product which require an air source of some sort or the E-Locker (Detroit) type which require electrical power to engage the unit's solenoid. These type of units are only used in off-road applications or racing where no differential action is required. Driving on road with these units activated is really hard on the drivetrain and will result in lots of wheel chirp and even broken axle shafts if driven hard. If you ever driven a 4x4 with massively mismatched front and rear gear ratios you'll have experienced the same effect.

The Detroit are no doubt a better unit. The main reason I went Lock rite was the price. Plus I did not want a clutch type limited slip.
My lock rite is not real harsh. It came with a set of stiff springs and soft springs. I used the soft springs.
You can hear it ratchet during a turn and if you give too much gas the inside tire does chirp in a turn. Easy to learn to drive it though.
It does give absolute positive traction when it locks up though, no doubt about it.
I was really surprised at how much more traction I had in the grass or gravel with this thing.
If money had not been a consideration I may have went with something different
clint

The problem I had with my LockRite was that is was WAY too harsh. When turning a corner, if I got on the throttle it would ratchet like mad and then engage like a sledgehammer, breaking gear teeth in the process.

It didn't do it to start with but would get worse over time, after 7 units I gave up (so did the rear end :() I really liked the way the unit worked in the mud and snow and the high level of control it gave me when engine braking, it would snap you right out of a fishtail as soon as you let off the throttle. I just couldn't deal with the problems. Even if I could have got one to last 3-4 months it would have been OK but I was replacing it ever 3-4 weeks and the teeth on the dog clutches were totally rounded off. I eventually gave up and put an Auburn clutch type LS in.

Thats true. Find a used center section with the limited slip already in it. Just bolt it in basically.

This is a really good discussion of options. I am glad I asked. I just need the rear end now. I gotta get ahold of the guy and find out when he will be home.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Did you ever get the rear Brian?

EDIT: That didn't come out right, but you know what i mean. :p

Did you ever get the rear Brian?

EDIT: That didn't come out right, but you know what i mean. :p

Ummm.....:suspicious:

Oh...you mean the rear end for the truck. smilietease

No, actually I have not. The guy is on the road working. I have no clue when he will come home again. The last I heard he was in WI on a job.

Its not a big issue or anything. We have known him for years and years.

So maybe if it arrives soon you can have a happy new rear...

Just found this post as I was checking the Early F-Series forum.

I just bought a 9" rear for my '48 panel. It's looks practically new with new drums, shoes and hardware. There's new RTV in on the 3rd member so I am assuming the internals have been gone over. I got the whole unit, with drive shaft for $75, not bad I thought.

Anyway, after reading all the posts in this thread I would like to know what the benefits of having a LSD are. I read about the benefit of it in loose gravel but is there any benefit for normal street use? The axle I have has a tag with 3.25 so I know it's ratio is 3/25 but it doesn't have anything indicating it's a LSD. The stock rear in the '48 is a 3/93, I think.

I am new to the whole rear axle thing, I normally stay stock with the '48-52 trucks. I just want something that will run down the highway a little better than stock.

The main advantage is gravel and other loose surfaces. Even wet, snow, ice, etc.

You got a deal on the one you have. I saw the pics on the other site. It looks new almost.

I would prefer a limited slip for mine eventually. Why? One example is recently (before it got cold) I was on a cruise with my car club. The location we were going to (cookout) was down on the lake. We went down the gravel road and had to turn around. The leader took a wrong turn. :headbang:

I actually got stuck in the loose gravel trying to turn around. I had to back way down the road and get a run at it to get over the crest of the hill.

With a limited slip...I would not have had that issue. I have had open and limited slips in other vehicles.

Part of it may be me too. I am not the greatest with the clutch. :suspicious:

I doubt I end up with a limited slip, but this thread gave me some ideas of how to do it, if I can ever afford it.

For just a driver...no one really needs one, but I want one.

Hello,

This is way, way down the line, but.... (this forum needs something)

I swapped some junk ch**y parts for a ford 9" to go in my 56. I can't go pick it up until the truck is drivable again (catch 22?). I don't know the exact year it came out of. It is supposed to be 3.50 gears (is that even offered in a ford?). I thought ford had a 3.73...but what do I know. :redface:

A guy dad works with (I have gotten a lot of parts from him :cooldude:), tried it under a later truck and it was too narrow. He swapped it out with a later (wider) 9" and put his 4.10 gears in the newer one.

Anyway, it is basically a bolt in because it is from an early F-100. They got wider about 72 (or so).

It is an open carrier. Is there an inexpensive way to change that to a limited slip (or whatever ford calls it)? I looked around the net (places like hotrodders) and could not find the information.

thanks,
Brian

B_B

FoMoCo called them TrueTrac & TracTech Inc., still manufactures them.

TrueTrac
Model: 912A459
Axle: Ford 9"
No. Splines: 28
Ratio: All

MI., 48071
Tel: 248-776-5700
FAX: 248-776-5702

Greetings. Have not seen you around here in a while. :wavey:

I never have caught the guy at home to pick up the rear end. Then again..I am rarely home anymore. I drive the truck too much.

It is on the list as a someday thing right now.

I almost got stuck going through a ditch and up a grassy embankment in MO today. It was pouring rain and I am used to a 4X4. Just another reason I will never own a lowered vehicle.

I was wishing I had the 9" installed with a trueTrac or something when it started spinning one tire. :(

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts