Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

9 In rear.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
One thing to keep in mind, is with the gear ratio. The gas crisis was going on around 78-82, so alot of the 9's have high gear ratios. Mine has a 2.75 ratio. I see alot of others with the same, or 3.50's.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not going with highway gears. Not with a 460.

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
I guess I will limit myself on the years of trucks to find a donor rear end so i can get my 8.8 out and a 9 inch in.

don't worry about what year it is for the 80's trucks, just take a look. easy as that. an 8.8 has a cover. a 9'' doesn't. there is no way in hell you could mistake them. and the tags are dead simple to read to know what you are getting. if i were you i'd be looking for a 9'' with a tag reading "3L50S", it'll net you 3.50 gears and a limited slip. as stated beware of 2.75 gear sets, my buddy had a 79 f150 2x4 460 c-6 2.75 rear, and that thing was a dog and drank gas like crazy in town.

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
And I thought my 300 was a dog with them. Definitely wasted potential with that engine/gearing combo.

it was just bad all together. a choked down emissions 460 is not a happy motor to begin with. was a nice truck, but that particular setup left a lot to be desired, was hard to believe it had a big block under the hood.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
don't worry about what year it is for the 80's trucks, just take a look. easy as that. an 8.8 has a cover. a 9'' doesn't. there is no way in hell you could mistake them. and the tags are dead simple to read to know what you are getting. if i were you i'd be looking for a 9'' with a tag reading "3L50S", it'll net you 3.50 gears and a limited slip. as stated beware of 2.75 gear sets, my buddy had a 79 f150 2x4 460 c-6 2.75 rear, and that thing was a dog and drank gas like crazy in town.

it was just bad all together. a choked down emissions 460 is not a happy motor to begin with. was a nice truck, but that particular setup left a lot to be desired, was hard to believe it had a big block under the hood.

I did find out my 460 was built in 1977. And the OL wants me to rebuild it. So no high gears have to be low cause I want it painfully evil.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts