Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

9" drain plug?

Except, as stated earlier in the thread, the older 9" rears had the plug in the housing, and NOT in the third member as you said. An older third member in a newer housing will have no drain plug.

Neither one has a drain plug.

There aren't any 9"s that have a drain plug in the housing, I don't care how old they are.

I said there is a fill plug in the third member.

FTF'er
Neither one has a drain plug.

There aren't any 9"s that have a drain plug in the housing, I don't care how old they are.

I said there is a fill plug in the third member.

Oops, I said "drain" when I meant "fill". Anyway, some had the "fill" plug in the housing and others in the third member.

Oops, I said "drain" when I meant "fill". Anyway, some had the "fill" plug in the housing and others in the third member.

I'd really like to see a fill plug in a 9" housing.

As far as I know, they never did.

I know they NEVER did on the 73-79 Trucks or 78 79 Broncos.

FTF'er

It's in the link that I posted above about a month ago...

Whenever you're building an 8-inch rearend, be mindful of the oil-filler plug situation. From '62-'66, the oil-filler plug is in the axlehousing, which means there is no oil-filler plug in the carrier. Use a '62-'66 carrier in your '67-up axlehousing and there will be no way to check the axle for lube. This same rule applies to 9-inch axles as well. Make sure your carrier has an oil-filler plug if you're using a '67-up housing.

Still haven't seen a 9" with a fill or drain plug in the housing....

The link you posted has this:
127_0310_diff_sb4_c_k_z.jpg

Which is a light duty 8" from a 60's model Car.

Ford Truck Articles