Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

88 f250 won't start after warmup

I have an 88 f250 that i have been working on for the past few weeks. It was parked about 6 months ago because it was running very rough and backfiring.

Saved some cash and when i had the time started to tear into it. Found that i had a bad fuel injector so i pulled them all, cleaned them and replaced the faulty one. While i had it torn apart, pulled valve covers and cleaned them up. Painted them and put new gaskets on. New gasket on the upper intake. Fixed any loose or frayed wires and replaced all the damaged wire loom. Also removed all of the "smog" equipment as most was disconnected by a previous owner and there were quite a few leaks in the system. Reinstalled the o2 sensor as the exhaust was replaced and never had it put on. Put everything back together and it ran fantastic......for about a week.

I was on my way home and it began to idle poorly and stalled. If i waited for a few mins it would start. Got it home and put the code reader on, gave a code 53 for the tps high voltage. Replaced the Tps and it seemed fine. Until i warmed it up then it would not restart. Checked the codes and got a code 63 tps voltage below minimum. I'm also getting a code 32 for the egr but it is capped and not hooked up to vacuum. (not sure if that's a problem, never was before hasn't been hooked up for years).

I've been told by several that it may be the IAC or the TFI. I cleaned the Iac and replaced the TFI and it is still giving me issues. I warm it up it runs great. Turn it off and try to restart and it just turns over and over. Wait a couple minutes and it starts right up. Code 63 is back.

Checked coil resistance and it is within range.

What the heck is going on?!?!

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'll have to get into the archives at work. On line, it gets a little thin for us older than 10 years. I do know that egr and tps are two sensors that can and will shut everything down. I have had a couple of magnetic pickups in the distributors go bad.

How about vacuum lock? I had someone suggest this to me and it makes sense. I would think if the pickups were bad that it would not run well at all. When cold it runs great. Just won't restart when warm.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts