Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

86 ranger wont start at all

my buddy has an 86 ranger 4x4,5speed,with the 2.9 in it and it quit running on him the other day. hes checked/replaced the following:plugs,wires,dist cap,rotor,battery,alternator,starter solenoid,checked starter (checks out fine) checked the tfi module,checked all connections to and from battery,checked and cleaned all grounds and cleaned the connection at the starter. when attempting to start all that is heard is either a series of clicks or it tries to crank but only cranks once or twice very slowly then clicks again. when this first started he was able to drift start it and then it would run fine, now it wont even start when pushing with another vehicle. i asked him how it ran before this happened and he said it ran as it should and just died and wont even try to fire. he asked me about the ecu and i told him if it was shot it would still run but would like total crap and carry on like crazy but would still run (i know this because the ecu went in my b2 last yr and thats what happened) im at a loss on this and so is he. the engine can be turned by hand with a ratchet and socket on the crank. everything i can think of to check or replace he has already had checked and replaced as needed. so please everyone any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated by me and my friend. thanks again in advance,bill

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Cleaned grounds and connections, but how about checking for continuity in the battery cables?

If the battery is good, and charged (note that brand-new batteries off-the shelf may be neither), that'd be my first check.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
smiliewhathesaid
Sounds like a bad ground.
How did he check the battery and starter. A battery can hold the correct voltage but not have enough power to turn a stater under load.
Same goes for a stater it might be running when not under load.
The TFI would cause a no start I had one that tested OK but was really bad.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts