Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

86 5.0 fuel problem

i have an 86 f150 with a 5.0 in it i just bought it from my grandpa and brought it up to indiana from tennessee wher it had been sittiing for four years.... anyway none of the three fuel pumps will kick on and im thinking its kinda far fetched that all the pumps would go bad . correct me if im wrong . Im thinking theres a short in the main power wire or ground wire that go back to power all the fuel pumps any better ideas? thanks

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
There is a relay up by the brake booster. Its under a plastic casing. If this dies you will lose at least the high pressure pump, which = no start. Ive had problems with mine in the past. Usually they just get sticky so you can turn the key on and tap on it with a screw driver handle. Sometimes it will unstick. Stick your head under there and have s helper cycle the key on to see if it clicks sometimes wrapping on it a couple times will make the pump start priming so check that first. There is also a fuse under the dash. Check that too.

Fyi these trucks will sometimes run with only the high pressure pump. So the in tank could have been bad for a while and the high pressure finally went.

Sent from my mudwhistle via Lemmiwinks.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Yeah, they probably didn't all go at once, check what he said, and check fuses before wiring.

Sent from the comfort of my toilet seat.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Its also very hard to hear the in tank pumps. There even hard to hear once you get them out. They are very quiet. They are also very low pressure
pump they hardly even push fuel

Sent from my mudwhistle via Lemmiwinks.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts