Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

8.8" Limited Slip axle question

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok i am HOPEFULLY putting the rear axle into the truck this weekend'hiding_smilie'

i have the old carrier out of the axle right now and currently in my basement on my make shift bench (steel chair haha'smiliedoh' ) ive got new clutches, center spring, and center pin.

the question i have is regarding the clutch kit. how should i install the clutches and steel plates? they are currently installed as follows going from the outside to the inside(outer edge of the gear)(left to right in this case)

Steel, Clutch, Steel, Steel, Clutch, Steel, Steel, Clutch

is this the proper way to have it set up? or is there a better way to do it? thanks a lotYelloThumbUp

1013090103.jpg

1013090103a.jpg

1013090103b.jpg

1013090104a.jpg

Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
BUMP.

dude where did you find the rebuild kit??

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Put it back the way you took it apart if that was the way it was. But isnt it usually steel friction, steel friction and so on. I know in an auto trans its like that.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
From the '91 Ford Truck Shop Manual for 8.8...

case- shim clutch disc-disc clutch disc-disc clutch -gear /spring/ gear- etc.

Shim = no teeth no ears
Clutch = two ears
Disc = teeth inside

Alvin in AZ

ok thanks a lot. thats how it is setup right now...but i didnt know there were 2 shims and 4 discs. ill relook at the kit i have tomorrow and put it all togetherYelloThumbUp

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
If you guys want a good clutch pack for 8.8s... There is a optional cobra clutch pack that adds clutch packs and makes it so its pirtty much a locker. Mustang guys use them. There very tight.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
see this is wierd to me...i didnt get any shims...just the clutchs and the gears shims...will it still work?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
see this is wierd to me...i didnt get any shims...just the clutchs and the gears shims...will it still work?

Travis,

If i understand you correctly, you have new Fiber Clutches (Fiber), new Steel Gears (Steel), a new S-spring and new bolt. You did not purchase a new steel smooth shim (note your setup may have had 2 smooth steel shims, this is okay as well). Maximum pack thickness is 0.660 with 0.640-0.645 most common.

Unless the original shim is bad you should be able to reuse it with no problem. The reason for replacing the bolt & S-spring is because the bolt & S-Spring can become fatigued and break. The steel gears teeth can wear, and obviously the Fiber wears away.

If your original setup did not have a smooth steel shim, i would get one.

Here is a video that will show you the setup on later model rear ends, which puts a "steel gear" against the side gear first then a fiber, this is FMC recomended way to setup the trak loc now.

Side Gear, Steel, Fiber, Steel, Steel, Fiber, Steel, Fiber, Shim

Here is an article with pictures on the 8.8 trac lok
www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?DID=6&Product_ID=2557&CATID=21

Last edited:
On reg cab trucks that have relatively light rear ends the diff was packed with steel plates next to one another so the diff would not be too tight and cause the rear to slide around excessively. On bigger trucks and Broncos there is more weight on the rear axle so a tighter diff can be used and these were packed with alternating steel and clutch disks. I have restacked the clutch packs with alternating disks on both my F150's and it provides much better traction and has lasted very well, the stock setup is useless IMO. For serious offroad use add an extra plate to each side or shim it to increase preload on the spring, this will deliver close to locker performance.

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok so i got the clutches in and had the problem of not being able to get the small gears into place with the new clutches in. i took it all apart and was looking at stuff. i put the old clutch pack from one set with the old shim next to the next to the new clutch pack for that side and the new one without a shim is about the same as the old one with the shim.......is there a problem im missing? its the everything is the same size minus the clutches being a bit thicker because they are new. i put the new clutch packs in without the old shim and the smaller gears rotate in like they are supposed to. should i run the carrier without the shims on each side? or is that a huge no?

other question i have is how in the hell do you get the new spring in between the gears????im having a hard enough time trying to compress it nevermind getting it in between the gears.

thanks for the help by the way

plus i just had a thought........if i run the clutch set gear/steal/clutch/steel/clutch/steel/clutch/steel or shim will this work in my situation being that the 4 gears, 3 clutches and 1 shim doesnt fit?

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Travis

Measure the new clutch pack and shim setup. normal is 0.640-0.645, maximum is 0.660.

Swapping one of the steels to the outside in place of the shim will work, but the teeth on the steel will not engage the gear splines as it is to far outboard. This it the reason the steels are setup closer to the gear.

Try compressing the spring with a large pair of pliers, once it is started into the housing you can tap it in with a rubber hammer.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
any luck yet travis?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts