Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'79 F250 2wd project truck

So I finally pulled my old '79 out of the shed and snapped a few pics of it, so I figured it was about time that I started a project thread about it. I bought this truck 3 years ago, original PA truck, BUT NO RUST!!! That statement may sound highly unlikely, but it will make a little more sense once I explain a little background on the truck.

Original specs: 79 F250 Ranger 2wd, 460/C6 auto, Camper Special package, AM/FM stereo, A/C, tilt wheel, cruise, delay wipers. From what I can gather, the camper special package adds rear overload springs, dual-piston front brake calipers, front and rear swaybars.

From what I can gather, I am the third owner of this truck. The original owner bought it new to pull a camper trailer. He had a 5th wheel and a CB radio installed, and pretty much only used it to pull his trailer. He kept it in the garage when it wasn't used, and only pulled his camper in the summer, therfore it never saw any salt. When the owner died (sometime around 2002??) the truck was sold to a collector a few miles away from me, who kept it along with a lot of other cars in a large barn, and only drove it occasionally on nice days. I purchased the truck off of this collector.

When I recieved the truck it had 42K original miles on it. I removed the 5th wheel hitch, running boards, mudflaps, and bed rails to clean up the appearance a little, then snapped a pic:

scan0013.jpg

I do have a few pics that I recently found of the truck the day I brought it home, but I still have to scan them in.

Right from the start, my plan for this truck was to build a "muscletruck". Basically I planned to leave the exterior pretty close to original except for cleannig it up a little to maintain the classic good looks, but modify the suspension to allow it to handle and drive good, as well as adding a few well-placed performance mods. In all honesty, I should have started with a half-ton, but this truck was just too nice to pass up, and the deal was right too.

The first step towards this goal was suspension. Added 3" dropped I-beams to get the front down for a better stance, and flipped the axle on top of the springs in the rear to get the back down a total of 5". At this time I also swapped the front spindles to half-ton hardware (dropped beams wont fit on the original 3/4 ton spindles) which gave me a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, and installed a posi-9" rear with 3.55 gears to replace the open-diff D60. I also added dual exhaust, a welded-in roll pan, and a pre-72 timing chain in the 460 (advances camshaft) at the same time.

I don't have many in-progress pics, but here are a few while I was finishing the rear:

scan0001.jpg

I C-notched the rear while I was back there. This wasn't exactly necessary for the flip kit, but it may come in handy later...
scan0002.jpg

The roll-pan going in:
scan0003.jpg

After completion:

scan0011.jpg

scan0010.jpg

scan0009.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0007.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Those pictures were taken summer 2006, more updates to follow.

Since the last picture was taken, the only major update to the truck was changing the '95 F150 15x7 wheels out in favor of a set of 15x8 steel wheels painted body color, with chrome trim rings. I have some pics somewhere with this setup before I tore the truck apart for the next step, but I need to locate them.

So, fast forward a little. I drove the truck with this setup for a year and a half, doing minor updates here and there, added 100mph speedo, 3-spoke sport wheel, tach on column, removed fake wood trim from glove box door, etc. I didn't have a camera at the time, so I am low on progress pics.

Here is one that I took last week of the interior, kinda embarrassed at how dirty and cluttered it is tho.

IMG_0827.jpg

But, the tranny started to slip in 3rd gear, so I figured it was time for a teardown for the next step in the transformation. Last spring the motor and tranny came out. Since then, I overhauled the tranny myself, adding extra clutches and a shift kit while it was apart. Since the motor was out, and it needed gaskets anyway, I decided to tear it apart. I ported the heads a little, and added a Lunati Voodoo cam. Currently I am reassembling the engine which will include fresh paint, an Edelbrock performer intake, 750 carb, and a set of full-length headers. Hopefully it should be about 350hp when done.

The engine is close to reassembly, so I pulled the truck out and washed it up. Here are some current pics:

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

I was also trying out some ideas for center caps on the steel wheels. Here is a factory 70's model center:

IMG_0836.jpg

This cap is a later-model cap. I am leaning towards this look better, but with the center of the cap blacked-out.

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

Now that this thread is started, hopefully this will give me motivation to get my butt in gear and get it finished. Let me know what you think. I know not everyone is into lowered trucks, but I like em both. I'll add more updates as work progresses.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
holy chit.. its looking gooood :)

Looks good for a 2wd other than those mirrors you put on. IMO the style factory mirrors on my trucks in my sig would look much better.

Looks good for a 2wd other than those mirrors you put on. IMO the style factory mirrors on my trucks in my sig would look much better.

I had those mirrors on my last 2wd F100, and I just really didn't like them. They really seemed to stick out too far and look out of place. I wanted to pull them in closer to the truck for a cleaner appearance. I tossed around putting on a set of the really small sport mirrors that they used on these trucks in the earlier 70s, which may have fit the classic appearance a little better, but they are pretty much useless for actually seeing out of. I've seen a couple of truck with these newer mirrors, and liked the look, so that's what I decided to go with. On there for good now.

I do get what you are saying, and that's not the first time I've heard that, but I plan to update the wheels to something a little more modern in the future, and the newer mirrors will compliment the truck a little better then.

It's all good. I'm flat out stuck with the original look that these trucks came with. To me 79 was the best last year that Ford made a truck.

your blue jeans are dry now :)

I was also trying out some ideas for center caps on the steel wheels. Here is a factory 70's model center:

IMG_0836.jpg

This is what I am doing with my Blue truck. I love the way this looks. Just gotta find the trim rings for the stock front and wide rear. Good looking truck you got looking forward to further progress picssmilieFordlogo

This is what I am doing with my Blue truck. I love the way this looks. Just gotta find the trim rings for the stock front and wide rear. Good looking truck you got looking forward to further progress picssmilieFordlogo

Thanks for the props. The trim rings are actually leftovers from my old 86 Bronco Eddie Bauer woods beater. They came installed on the Bronco's factory spoked steel wheels. The small center cap is also from those wheels. The rings originally had a red strip painted around them, but a little paint stripper took care of that. They are a little beat up, but they work for now. I believe that they will also fit on the narrower 15x7 steel wheels, but I honestly haven't tried.

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
looks awesome!

The truck looks great. Heck, I loved it when it was just stock. Nice ride.

Thanks man. The truck did look good stock, and I cruised it alot like that, but it wasn't much fun to drive. It handles 300% better now, I've actually scared all my buddies when I take them for a ride and blast it on the highway on-ramp. This thing STICKS for a 30 year old pickup.

Quick update, cam is installed and shortblock is ready. Heads are assembled and prepped. I plan to install the heads this week and get the motor painted.

I also picked up a used Doug Nash Engineering auxilliary overdrive unit from a guy on the other site. This unit attaches directly to the back of the C6 and provides a 25% overdrive (similar to a Gear Vendors unit). It came out of a 78 2wd truck, and I got the crossmember also so I can bolt it directly into mine. I don't expect the cam'd 460 to get great fuel mileage with the overdrive, but it should at least do a little better. The biggest advantage will be to quiet the motor down a little on the highway. It ran about 2800 at 70mph before, and I figured that it should bring it down to about 21-2200rpm. Should make it pretty nice on the highway with the cruise set :) . I'll drag it outta the box this week and snap some pics, I need to clean it up and check it out to make sure it's ready to go.

Well, I've been working like crazy on the '79 lately, so much so that I've really neglected to update this post. I've got a bunch of photos, so I'll post some of them and get everyone up to speed on progress.

So, when i posted last I mentioned that the motor was ready for paint, Here are some pics taken right after paint. I also test-fitted the headers to see how they looked.
IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

Intake is an Edelbrock Performer, and I also installed an aluminum Edelbrock water pump for increased cooling and reduced weight.

So, the next step was to get the truck in and get the frame cleaned up and painted. Since there was almost zero surface rust, cleanup was very easy, then I sprayed it with Krylon satin black. I also painted the brake booster/MC and the AC box cover.
IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

I picked up a set of early-70's factory 460 valve covers at a swap meet last summer because I like the "power by Ford" writing on them, so I sandblasted them and painted them to match, then hand-painted the raised lettering.
IMG_0950.jpg

Just this past week, I finally got the motor dumped back in. This has been out a year and 4 months, so it felt great to finally get it bolted back in place. I also got the Edelbrock 750 installed with a 1" carb spacer

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

Luke helped with the install as well (moral support).

IMG_0962.jpg

Next step was getting all of the accessories installed. I also repainted the air cleaner and added a early-70's factory "460 cubic inch" decal to the air cleaner. The ignition is a GM HEI-style retrofit. I also reinstalled the A/C brackets now, but I'll install the pump later. I'd like to have it rebuilt, if anyone knows of someplace that does this, or a place that sells rebuilt pumps, I'd like to know.

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

Next step is getting the overdrive unit cleaned up and inspected. This is a Doug Nash Engineering DNE2 under/overdrive. If anyone knows anything about these units, let me know. I think I may have to install a new servo motor, and at least one limit switch, so I need to find a parts supplier. From what I've heard, US Gear now owns DNE, but they no longer support these units.

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

So that's where I'm at right now. Once the OD is installed, I can measure for a new driveshaft and send the dimensions to a local driveline shop. I'm also waiting on the headers, which are at the powdercoater right now. I also want to clean and paint the inner fenders and rad support before reinstalling them, especially since the rest of the engine compartment looks so much better now. Hope to have the motor ready to fire and do a cam break-in by next week. Can't wait to get this thing back on the road...

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
that truck is so sexy i am crying and jittery at the same time......I would do that truck it is so sexy very nice writeup and great pics!Looks like ur doing an EXCELLENT job!!!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts