Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 F150 & F350 frames?

Broncodawg

Bleeds Ford blue blood
I have a 79 F350 4x4 with a trashed cab and bed, and know of a straight 79 F150 4x4 for sale.
Won't the frames be the same?
Since both have 351Ms the wiring should be identical too, right?
If I drop the F150 cab on the the 350 frame, would you just register the truck as a 150 using the 150 vin, or....?
The registration would be cheaper. Thanks.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Frames the same? Personally I don't know, I have read many debates about it. Some say they are the same, some say the 350 frame is thicker. The 150 body will bolt right on though.

Registration will go by the vin on the body, so yes, the reg would be cheaper.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
the frames are the samewidth and thats all, the 350 has leaf springs up front and the 150 will have coils springs. but the cabs will swap over. you can pull the cab and front clip together to save time. some folks will tell ya that you cant but it has ben done

IMGP0285.jpg

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
the frames are the samewidth and thats all, the 350 has leaf springs up front and the 150 will have coils springs. but the cabs will swap over. you can pull the cab and front clip together to save time.

Yes, the front suspension is different (unless the 150 is a supercab 4x4, only then will a 150 have leafs up front).

Broncodawg

Bleeds Ford blue blood
Yep, coil and leaf mounts very different. Would 150 frame have holes for mounting the ton leaf suspension, if i wanted to swap the ton axles to the
1fitty? Have to check and make sure steering box mounts are the same.

The 350 had a hard life as a plow truck in the Sierras (bed and cab are toast) and thinking the frame could be tweaked from hard plowing. Otherwise, would be much easier to swap the clean 1 fitty cab and bed onto the 3 fitty chassis.
Any thoughts on how hard plowing might have been on the frame would be cool.

Like the idea of swapping with the front clip still attached, thanks.
Thanks for the replies.:beer:

Last edited:

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
it realy would be easyer to swap the cabs. the 150 dont have any leaf srpnig mounts and would require some extensive fab work. if it was me id strip the 350 cab/bed off the frame and take a tape measer and see if it was still square and strait. if the 350 was a plow truck pull the diff covers and look at those as well. they might be on there way out, alot of folks dont know how to stop before shifting from forward to reverse or the other way around and its hard on the diff's,transferecase and trans

Broncodawg

Bleeds Ford blue blood
Thanks Wizard and others. Strapped the 150 home last night over ten miles of snow covered back roads to avoid CHP hassle (uphill both ways, like the old saying goes). Lucky we didn't get crossed up as my 97 PS diesel got a little squirrely in the snow towing it. Yahoo! I owe the wife big for driving the 1 fitty with stiff steering and brakes. Sorry no pics yet, but guess I ought to post some.

Luckily, the 350 is a 4 speed, so the drivetrain didn't get hammered by rolling auto slam shifts while plowing. smiliepeelout Will yank cab and bed off frame and see if it's still square, or cracked and so on.

lostinfords

New Jersey Chapter member
check w/ your state...in NJ the vin. follows the frame, so it may be worth it to avoid hassles later on to keep it as a 350

when you get a chance can you check to see if the frame channels are the same height. I know there is a difference in the height of a supercab and regular cabs but I am not sure of the 150/250 and the 350's...thanks and good luck w/ your project..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts