Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

77 highboy

I have a 77 highboy. I have owned this truck for many years. It is an f250, long box, in cab tank, divorced transfer case and power assist cyl steering. Great truck and has been part of the family many years. Its the two tone metallic brown and cream, all stock. Unfortunaly the body has recently rotted out and I have been looking for a body for it. I came across a 77 two wheel drive truck that is mint. It also is an auto transmission F250, red and white. Missing the 460 but I dont care, Im after the body. Any body know if its a direct bolt up swap or is there a ton of fab that would detract from the value? Any info would be great. Im sure one of you guys have run into this.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to FTF. Thinking that it should be pretty much an easy swap. They are both auto?
The shifter hole would have to be cut in the new cab.

77 F250 HighBoy

I have heard that the frames are not the same width.
I would imagine then that the bolt pattern for the cab would not line up. And I would image radiator support wouldn't either.They are both auto trans trucks.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I know the frames are a different width, but I thought that was strictly a year thing, meaning that the 2wd/4wd were the same width for the same years (I think)...the frames did differ up front though, but I don't think it was for sheetmetal, just the drivetrain...I could be out to lunch...hopefully someone that knows more will be along.

Last edited:
I do know that the 3/4 ton narrow frames on the cab the mounts behind the seat are closer together meaning they are on the cross member then being on the mounts that are outside of the frame. I have both 4wd and 2wd trucks and that mount is different widths, If you look though the cabs with the wide rear mounts still have the stamping for the narrow mounting holes though i am not sure if you were to drill the holes if the re-enforcement is there for the bolts to keep the sheet metal from crushing.

The last six digits determine whether it's a narrow or standard 250.

OK, well its 34 inch from outside to outside of the frame in the rear by the rear bumper and I think it was 35 in the front by the bumper. So it seems the front of the frame is the same as my 79 3/4 ton 4x4 and all the other trucks I measured. However its narrower in the rear than anything else. I believe that my 79 4x4 was 37-1/2 inches outside to outside

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have heard that the frames are not the same width.
I would imagine then that the bolt pattern for the cab would not line up. [confused]

And I would image radiator support wouldn't either. [confused]
The width of the frame has nothing to do with anything from the cab forward.

33 1/2" between the inner rear frame rails BEHIND the cab: 1973/77 F250 4WD & F350.

37 1/2" between the inner rear frame rails BEHIND the cab: 1973/79 F100/250 2WD

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
:post pics:

:wavey:

Fellro

Staff member
The box will have to have a new set of holes put in, but I do believe the rest is direct bolt. I do know without a doubt that the rad support from a 78 is a direct bolt. It is my understanding that the hole locations cab forward were matching in location, as BKW indicated.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts