Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

76-79 wiring harness differences.

I Have a couple questions about the wiring in a 76 and the wiring in a 79.

Basically I am taking a 1976 crew cab body, and installing it onto my 79' long bed frame. That in turn will have a bobbed and shortened short bed. the 79' is a factory AC truck, and the 76 is Non AC.

the dash wiring and cab wiring for the 76 is OK, couple cut wires and missing things but easy fixes. the wiring for my 79 is all factory non hacked clean.

I really only have one issue i can see, that is going to be the fact that i have an AC truck and wiring. I plan to use the NON ac stuff and dash board. but what problems with wiring the blower motor and heater will i have? and also any other problems to be seen besides the heat? Im using my 79 steering colum, 79 key and ignition cylinder ect.

When I installed A/C in my 79 crew I used the wiring from the 79 A/C parts truck in my non A/C crew and it was all plug and play. Should be pretty easy to make the 79 harness work with the older heater setup.

If your using the 79 column and gauges I don't forsee a problem.

Gauges vs warning lights
NSS for A/T 76 on column.79 on Transmission
More available options on 79
Ignition switches are different 76-79

well i had the same question. but i just did i put a 79 colum in my 76 pluged it in everything works no glitches. i have heard stuff is differnt and doesnt work, so i hope this helps some

so using the wiring harness from a 79 WITH AC, and putting it into a 76 WITHOUT AC shouldn't be anything difficult then? I only see a problem with the heater as having the blower motor located under the hood. but its only 1 wire so thats not to hard to rewire.

I plan to take the 79 wiring harness and clean it up, strip it down and then re-loom the harness.

A 79 w/o AC comes up a Generic A/C capable if soneone sawpped it in.

People need to remember Ford and Cost cutting

When it came to wiring harnesses Ford Made options Plug and Play.
They made ONE harness for the truck and sold Replacement Option harneess.

This alone is why we get some many "What is this a Connection for" ..Type Q's

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts