Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

73 f100

Hey guys I just joined from south carolina. I am looking at buying a 73 f100. The body is in OK shape just really needs paint. The guy said it has sat for about a year but all I had to do to start was pull the choke floor the gas and turn the key and she fired up. Once she was warmed up the motor ran real smooth real quiet everything looked good. Its got the inline 6 cylinder with an automatic trans. I'm just wandering what's the first thing I need to do to it. As well as any cool mods that have been done I'm wanting to a restoration with a modern twist. But still use it as an everyday driver. Also a few questions as what mpg can I expect and what are the common problems or issues with these trucks and engines? Thanks in advance

The in-line 6 is an excellent motor and should get decent fuel mileage, It has good torque but isn't really much of a speed demon, that engine was build for work. I would check the basics first, all the fluids, brakes and steering and suspension components and replace anything that has major play and then run with it from there.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Welcome. Look forward to seeing some pics of the truck.

OK I went and picked it up. I was driving it home and the brakes was extremely hard to push. I get home and there is no brake booster. So I guess she has manual brakes. My question is how do u convert it to power brakes?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Best thing to do is try to find a donor truck with power brakes that you can use. You'll probably need to get a different booster and/or master cylinder, but you can snatch the booster brackets/booster, pedal and anything else you need.

ok so i get the brakes worked out i just got out and drove it today and they got better the more i drove it so i guess it just needed to be drove. also my fuel guage dont work. i checked the fuses and they are all fine. i pulled the instrument cluster out and there is only one electrical connector on it and there was just holes where the lights should be and of course the speedo cable was hooked up as well. now all that said where do i start with getting the fuel guage working? anybody now what pin the wire for it is on the connector so i can test that.

You can start by checking the ground wire at the tank sending unit then the snaps on the ICVR on the back of the instrument panel for a good connection and or any corrosion.

Does the ground wire actually ground at the tank. I ask this because I have a yellow wire that runs from the top of the tank and all the way up to the harness at the firewall from there idk where it goes. If I test this wire with a test light should it have power or is that the ground.

Just press the outer shell sideways a little and it will slide right out. When you get your hand on it it will feel like it is crooked, just push it sideways till it feels straight.

OK guys just got pics here it is what do you think

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381775223163.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381775269388.jpg
You have to squeeze the plastic connector and you pull it rearward

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts