Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

73-77 Grille Surrounds not created equaly

I have a 71 SCS that the grille, inserts, and bumper where all smashed when I got the truck. Last weekend I decided to pull out the spares and get it looking presentable. I knew the bumper was different and was OK with that but the grille is the problem. I have and intended to use the inserts from a 73-75, the shells I have are from a 76 and a 77. Installed the shell and the insert would not fit after some studying I noticed the little v-bent sections behind the insert are deeper on the 76-77 than the earlier ones. Now I have to figure out how to bend them back up so I can get the inserts in there. Never heard anyone say anything about this before, have you? [confused]

I have a 71 SCS that the grille, inserts, and bumper where all smashed when I got the truck. Last weekend I decided to pull out the spares and get it looking presentable. I knew the bumper was different and was OK with that but the grille is the problem. I have and intended to use the inserts from a 73-75, the shells I have are from a 76 and a 77. Installed the shell and the insert would not fit after some studying I noticed the little v-bent sections behind the insert are deeper on the 76-77 than the earlier ones. Now I have to figure out how to bend them back up so I can get the inserts in there. Never heard anyone say anything about this before, have you? [confused]

I've honestly never heard of a 73/77 grille working on an earlier truck, but ya, the front bumper should work.

nope original Ford. I have 2 from 76's and one from a 77. They are diferent from the 73 that I have. The little "V" that is stamped is deeper on the newer ones, they press against the insert on the 73 and deform it. Have tried to take pics to show what I mean but they don't realy show the difference.

Ford Truck Articles