Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7.3L Oil Pan Leak

Michigan
My dad has a 2002 F250 with the 7.3L.

He called me yesterday saying his truck is leaking out oil bad.. So i checked it out this morning and his pan is rusted pretty bad and it looks like the gasket material itself is where its leaking out of..

Trying to find some information about doing this job online and i havent found anything..

What im asking is.. Is it pretty tough to pull the motor on these trucks? What has to come off in order to get it out of the engine compartment? Also, is there a way we can take the cross member off and tackle it that way? I need some help here. Thanks

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
My dad has a 2002 F250 with the 7.3L.

He called me yesterday saying his truck is leaking out oil bad.. So i checked it out this morning and his pan is rusted pretty bad and it looks like the gasket material itself is where its leaking out of..

Trying to find some information about doing this job online and i havent found anything..

What im asking is.. Is it pretty tough to pull the motor on these trucks? What has to come off in order to get it out of the engine compartment? Also, is there a way we can take the cross member off and tackle it that way? I need some help here. Thanks

Typical 7.3 pan they like to rot. The engine comes out pretty easy if you have a picker that can lift it. You don't accually have to remove a whole lot. You have to pull the radiatior and radiator support out, pull off the turbo, move the power steering and the a/c compressor . As far as the cross member theres a place up by us that cuts it out then welds it back in to do the job, but in my opinion that is the hack way to do it.

Michigan
The problem ended up being the Hpop seals leaking in the vally and draining out of the weep hole behind the motor. Also the oil cooler was leaking and so was the gasket where the oil filter housing and block heater goes into. All that was about 800 bucks parts and labor...

I went out and checked mine and the gasket behind the filter housing is leaking on mine also... So im gonna do it myself.

Ford Truck Articles