Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7.3 dying cps systems

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
My uncle has a 2002 F350 with 7.3. The truck will run fine as long as it is ideling. When he pulls out of the drive and goes about 100 yards the truck will die. It will then crank back up. He changed the cps out. that did not fix it. The truck is at the dealer now. They spent 3 hours on it today. They can not find the problem. They think that the computer is loosing power.

My question is where do we need to start looking?

blacksnapon

Staff member
My uncle has a 2002 F350 with 7.3. The truck will run fine as long as it is ideling. When he pulls out of the drive and goes about 100 yards the truck will die. It will then crank back up. He changed the cps out. that did not fix it. The truck is at the dealer now. They spent 3 hours on it today. They can not find the problem. They think that the computer is loosing power.

My question is where do we need to start looking?
Any codes? It almost sounds like a poor connection or a chafed wire. Remember, the 7.3 has an IDM instead of a ficm. Its behind the driver wheel well (next to the firewall). Good place for water intrusion in a connector.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Thanks. I'll check it out. We still have to get the truck back from the dealership. I don't have a gooseneck hitch in my truck. My cousin just traded his Dodge in on an 08 F350. He is waiting on the hitch to come in.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
even though there was a recall on the cps, we are having some connector issues. run the truck untill she shuts off, and then try to restart the truck while watching the tach. if the tach registers rpm then its not a cps issue.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
We went a picked the truck up this morning. Once we got it home it took about 15 min to find the problem. it was a chafed wire going to the computer. it is now running great.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts