Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

60F PN interchange.

bendog

Pacific Northwest Chapter member
I have one of the 76-77, low pinion, dual piston caliper, disk brake, Dana 60F front axles and hooped the spindles. Found some on ebay, but not the same PN. My PN: 37944 H2Z78, ebay PN: 38422 or 706553X. The bearings listed by the seller are the same PN as mine, indicating interchangeability, but I know my axle is an odd ball and don't want to spend the cabbage on the wrong parts.
Any help appreciated.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have one of the 76-77, low pinion, dual piston caliper, disk brake, Dana 60F front axles and hooped the spindles. Found some on ebay, but not the same PN. My PN: 37944 H2Z78, ebay PN: 38422 or 706553X. The bearings listed by the seller are the same PN as mine, indicating interchangeability, but I know my axle is an odd ball and don't want to spend the cabbage on the wrong parts.
Any help appreciated.
There are THREE different spindles for 1976/79 Dana 60's. Serial number of the F250, Crew Cab or not...makes the difference.

The Ford front axle ID tag is located under one of the bolts that retains the inspection cover to the housing.

The Dana front axle ID tag is bolted to the housing to the right (front axle) of the inspection cover. Has a 7 or 8 number code stamped on it.

If you have one or both of these codes, post them. If you don't, I can't help you.

bendog

This axle is under a crew cab, I believe it to be the original axle.
The tag bolted thru the inspection cover using two bolts has: the ratio, 4:10 and

D6TS AD
603664 2

Cast into the webbing on the upper left of the diff housing is:C36912

Cast into the webbing on the lower right of the diff housing is the axle model:
60F

Thanks a bunch for helping me out on this.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Ford: D6TS-AC or AD / Dana: 603644-2 / Dana 60 4.10-1 w/free running hubs.

Original application: 1976 F250 4WD Crew Cab before serial number B50,000.

Ford: D6TZ3105D / Dana: 29906 X .. Spindle-Right/Left is the same.

706553 X is the Dana axle number from the ebay ad (I believe it is from the mid 1980's). As you can see...It doesn't match the number above.

Last edited:

bendog

Thank you sooooooo much, the Dana website has a gap between B.O.M numbers which of course would contain my B.O.M., so I couldn't get any PN's to cross ref from there. I was at a total loss.
Now I hope these spindles aren't made out of unobtainium.
THANK YOU!

Dana44Ident.jpg

Dana44FrontAxleIdent1.jpg

Dana44FrontAxleIdent2.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts