Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Tear Down

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Keep in mind, all that pretty paint makes for a bad ground.......
Hopefully it's just as simple as that.

How did the alternator check out when Ford tested it? I would start there first if it's not a ground.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
alts brand new.. they said it was only putting out 20-40 amps total.. mins supposed to be 60.. they thought that was the cause of the dead batteries..

ive been wondering about that too.. but theres also only 3 grounds on the engine too.. was going to check those out sometime when i have more time than 5 mins before darkness.. wasnt a fast pace click either.. just clicked when id turn the key back and forth.. like the solenoid was engaging but not the starter... had one go bad like that in the s10 once.. dead spot in the windings.. if it landed in that spot would do nothing and kill the battery..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
3G alternators have a habit of diodes going bad, and thinking the key is on when it is off

Unhook the neg batt cables, and stick a test light between the post and the cable on one of the batteries

the test light should barely be lit. If bright, unhook the alternator, and see if the test light goes dim.
If it does you found your problem.

If it doesn't, start pulling fuses and relays until it does, you need to find that draw.

Did you have the problem before all the head work upgrades?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Did you have the problem before all the head work upgrades?

nope.. could let it sit there for over a month and would still fire up.. little grouchy but would still fire.. now its not lasting 2 days.. starting to wonder if the drain is coming from what evers causing it to run rough..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Problem is you put SOOOO many new things in.

What new electrical components went in, that would affect the running/ engine management?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Problem is you put SOOOO many new things in.

What new electrical components went in, that would affect the running/ engine management?

Only thing electrical i put in was a new gauge but its wired to a key on only circuit. The other gauges where there before i pulled it apart.. Other than that the alt and batteries the ony 2 things that were changed. Everything else is the same.

Did have to fix the main engine harness though when i found the 2 wires going to the turbo were stripped bare and electrical taped together like that

Also meant to add i used an existing ground that was in the cab for that gauge. Just pulled the bolt. Put the eyelet in and resnugged the bolt through it

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Batteries were already changed
What did you do to the alternator?

Grounds won't draw down a battery, you have a hot to ground somewhere

Check all your main positive cables, they may have gotten pinched in all the work. Especially the one between the 2 batteries

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
alt was changed by the dealer.. they claimed it was the reason the batteries were dead... only place i had the batterys harness disconnected was where it connects to the starter.. and thats only cuz i had to pull the starter to get to the drain plug behind it..

did find one loose ground wire loose already where it attached to the body.. just have to check the other side now..

kinda wondering about the starter itself... had one short out internally before that even when the car was off it drained down the battery on it.. kinda wondering if its not happening again here...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Maybe.
Does the 6.0 have a solenoid on it like the same year gassers?

Usually starters don't play any power until they are engaged/powered up

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got Good news... Not DFB's or bad/shorted grounds...

Bad news... Dead fricken starter :( BOOOOO!!!!

yeah they have a solenoid.. layed under the truck while mom turned the key back and forth.. could hear the solenoid smacking back and forth.. (that things fricken loud).. but the starter didnt do a thing...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Tell them the the crazy idiot from md with the Pete rollback sent you

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I was looking at going with one from oreillys. Lifetime warranty. All new not rebuild. Built with hd parts that are supposed to be better than factory

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Not a bad idea, probably will cost about the same, but make sure there's an O'reilly's near where you're moving too.
A diesel starter on average will last about 100,000 miles.

Usually the rebuild jobbers like Brownings, and P& H parts last a bit longer.
Last starter I had built was on the 88 1500 IH 7.3, 10 years ago, and it's still cranking like the day I put it in there
Just my .02

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i know theres one in Greensborough.. cuz thats where my parts always seem to have to come from when theyre not in stock lol

just searched one in Henderson too... which is the closest city to where wed be moving too..

if i remember right was $205 for the starter.. i have $5 off gift card for them because of the points i racked up.. and also gonna take one of the parentals with me for the military discount lol..

of what ive heard the stock started tends to get to 140K depending on driving habbits... which puts it around the Alts expectancy..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Welp... $185 later for a new starter the truck started right up.. even cranked over faster than when i first bought the truck...

unplugged the EGR Valve and took it out for a run down the street... There was this strange feeling... i pushed the pedal down to the floor... and there was this overwhelming feeling to move to the back seat...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
old starter...

image_zpsdpnxcl3j.jpg

image_zpsv01jjnrc.jpg

image_zps9ywh7wnn.jpg

im wondering if this is actually supposed to look like that...

image_zpsrgydmszc.jpg

nice shiny now one...

image_zpslchxdnlb.jpg

image_zps91fjvybc.jpg

put it in.. looks nice and shiny there with a nice clean engine.. kinda sad the tranny looks nasty from the engine...

image_zpsi9syxqab.jpg

just cause i love how the gauges look together..

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Wire b broke.......LOL
Glad you Got-r-done

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts