Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 smoking

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've got a 6.0 waiting on me monday morning. The usual........white smoke for a few seconds, then it goes away.....puking coolant. Truck is lifted, with quad shocks each wheel, tires taller than me...."Warranty will cover this, wont it?". Sometimes it gets a little old, ya know.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I am an avid off roader and I have a lifted truck. I know the added stress that is added to a truck with a lift and large tires. Also add into that the extra stress from being driven alot harder than normal and in the case of the diesel, probably having a tuner installed, it's a recipe for disaster. Also take into account that most of the lifted trucks, in my opinion, don't address all of the issues that go hand in hand with the added strain. Inadequate gearing, brakes and etc.

My truck is older and built with the added abuse in mind and also built so I can repair it. I don't understand people that buy a brand new truck, destroy it, then throw the blame on the manufacturer.

It would burn me up to no end to have to deal with situations like that. It seems unethical and almost criminal to expect a warranty to cover abuse. Wow, I think you just found one of my pet peeves. I imagine it gets really old having to deal with customers like that.

In a situation like you're dealing with, what would be the determining factor as to whether or not it is a warrantied repair?

blacksnapon

Staff member
It would be warranty if the modifications are determined not to have contributed to the failure. Of course the customer told me "No tuner, its stock". He assured me the truck was stock other than the lift and tires.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Even though I am a guy that is into lifts and big tires, it still doesn't seem right to warranty anything knowing the use and abuse that goes hand in hand. But on the other hand, there is the type of person that just does it for show...

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'm going to give him the benefit of a doubt, and not specifically go after any modifications. If my standard diagnostics point toward an unapproved component, I stop there!

If its been abused you can tell by little signs. Look for paint wear on the suspension where its bottomed out and such. Look for mud caked on top of crossmembers. As far as the tuner i have no idea. But it seems kind of probable that somethin has been done to the engine if the truck has been beat on. I guess when it comes down to it its your decision.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I read somewhere that Ford can void warranty simply from excessive tire wear, signs that the vehicle was raced.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I read somewhere that Ford can void warranty simply from excessive tire wear, signs that the vehicle was raced.
So besides the ports to throw Water/Meth and NOS into my 6.0L, the new tires after only 17K miles helped too? DANG IT!! :rofl: :nana: :rofl: :nana: :rofl:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I give you kudos, because you understand that if you play you pay. I wish more people had that attitude.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I give you kudos, because you understand that if you play you pay. I wish more people had that attitude.
I think alot of my attitude comes from upbringing. My father used to own car dealerships and we've had a rental operation with mopeds, golf carts and wave runners for years. So I have a bit more understanding from the other side and I know that the world does not owe me favors.

I'll be the first to admit, I OWE the world MANY favors. ROFLMAO

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts