Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 rough running

My 250 6.0PS has 123,000 miles on it, and the only thing other than normal maintenance, that I had to change is the IPC sensor. I changed it probably 15,000 miles ago and it has been running great. Now over the last month when I start the engine it runs rough (if the engine temp is warm it runs fine). It idles fine but as soon as I give it the pedal it starts bucking and spitting and anything else that sounds bad. Now as soon as the engine temp increases it runs like a champ. Any suggestions????

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Is the check engine light on?

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine was doing. It would fart, snort, (run rough), and blow black smoke if I'd try to accelerate at initial start-up. After it would warm up just a bit, it would be done with that and drive fine. The first time it did that was a bit un- nerving for me. Anyway, with mine it was the FICM.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
At least now Ford sells just the bottom half of the FMIC, and you dont have to reprogram it anymore.

blacksnapon

Staff member
At least now Ford sells just the bottom half of the FMIC, and you dont have to reprogram it anymore.
It does still need to be updated. Yes, its plug and play, but putting it up to the level of the pcm (or for that matter,the pcm up to the level of the ficm) is much recommended.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Our local ford dealer said just swap it out, they didnt say anything about updating it.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ill remember that next time we get one in, which i hope isnt soon lol

Check engine light is not on. Now I have no idea what a FMIC is.....If i get this changed, do I need to reinstall the factory program and remove the program on the Diablo Tuner? If so can I reinstall the Diablo program after I get this repaired?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
The FICM is the Fuel Injection Control Module, it mounts ontop of the drivers valve cover. Yes you would have to uninstall the tune, then reinstall it after the new FICM is installed and programmed. As Ford pulls the info off the oil FICM and loads it into the new one, unless you get the bottom half of the FICM. But as blacksnapon said the new FICM will need an update too

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I would remove the program before bringing it to the dealer. To save money you can replace the FICM half shell yourself it comes with instructions and is fairly easy to do just have to remove it from the driver side valve cover and open it up and replace the halfshell. Then bring it to the dealer for a re-flash. You can then reinstall your tuner after the reflash.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts