Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 quiz

blacksnapon

Staff member
Customer was complaining of no heat. This was found accidentally. Reading taken at idle in the bay. Repair for heat was replacing the heater core (plugged up). What do you see, and what do you advise the customer? OASIS is ugly, 2 headgasket jobs, one engine, egr cooler, oil cooler.
Picture_104.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Little hard to read the text on the screen shot, but if I'm seeing it right...

ECT is flatlining on the tophalf and EsomethingT is flatlining on the bottom half.

I'll hazard a guess that in at least one, maybe both, cases, the E_T is Engine __ Temperature...and flatlining suggests to me that the coolant temp sensor is bad. ("But my temperature gauge still comes up.") Two sensors- one for the computer, on for the gauge.

[confused]

blacksnapon

Staff member
The two readings are EOT and ECT (engine oil temp and engine coolant temp) The flat lines just mean the temperatures are steady at that temp. EOT is 194 and ECT is 176.

Thermostat stuck open?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thermostat stuck open?
You never want ECT AND EOT to be more than 15* different from each other. Usually it takes several minutes to get the EOT up to at least 185*. This one took a few seconds. With the heater core plugged not giving any heat.

You never want ECT AND EOT to be more than 15* different from each other. Usually it takes several minutes to get the EOT up to at least 185*. This one took a few seconds. With the heater core plugged not giving any heat.

I assume you are saying that both the heater core and the oil cooler (again) are plugged?

If so, why was the oil temp so stable? Shouldn't it have kept increasing - unless the sensor is bad as john deere mentioned?

Edit:
If the temp is accurate, then there can't be much water flow, so if the oil cooler isn't plugged then would it be a weak water pump? But again, why such a steady temp (I assume it was for 15 minutes)?

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Oil cooler and heater core plugged? Advice was asking if there had been coolant leaks causing customer to use stop leak. Advised a coolant flush with Iron cleaner.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts