Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 loosing coolant but not puking

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Well i checked on my truck yesterday. they were installing the heads. They had to shave both heads for flatness, replaced #8 injector, changed nozzels, orings, and copper washers on the other 7, and they are going to replace the egr cooler. I decided to leave the cooler stock untill I upgrade the turbo.

I will have my truck back by Tuesday. I got all of my info from the tech and not the service writer. Well maybe with the studs in i won't have to worry about this again.

Ford doesn't recomend machining of the heads, there supposed to be replaced. Heres the inspection procedure out of the book.

NOTICE: Do not use metal scrapers, wire brushes, power abrasive discs or other abrasive means to clean the sealing surfaces. These tools cause scratches and gouges that make leak paths. Use a plastic scraping tool to remove all traces of the head gasket and other foreign material.

Following the directions on the packaging, use silicone gasket remover and metal surface prep to clean the cylinder head of all gasket foreign material, RTV, oil and coolant.
NOTE: Use a straight edge that is calibrated by the manufacturer to be flat within 0.005 mm (0.0002 in) per running foot of length, such as Snap-On® GA438A or equivalent. For example, if the straight edge is 61 cm (24 in) long, the machined edge must be flat within 0.010 mm (0.0004 in) from end to end.

NOTE: Measure locations 2 and 3 first. These 2 locations are most susceptible to wear or damage.

Measure cylinder head flatness to make sure that there are no depressions of 0.0508 mm (0.002 in) or greater in the cylinder head.
Place a 0.0508 mm (0.002 in) feeler gauge on one of the measuring points.
Place the straight edge on top of the feeler gauge with the straight edge transverse to the cylinder head, as shown.
Gently pull on the feeler gauge.
If the feeler gauge is loose or slides out from under the straight edge, install a new cylinder head.

Depending on how much they took off there could be valve to piston clearence issues. I would question why they didn't replace the heads.

blacksnapon

Staff member
smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid The tolerances are just too close on the 6.0. You effectively have removed any margin of error.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Ford doesn't recomend machining of the heads, there supposed to be replaced.
Depending on how much they took off there could be valve to piston clearence issues. I would question why they didn't replace the heads.

Absoulutely! Machining the heads is a non-approved procedure by FMC. The 6.0 heads are very touchy and there is very little room for error. I have seen guys machine them under very very limited circustances, but only because they were doing the job themselves and could not readily get a new head. The people i know who modify and rebuild the 6.0 highly recommend new heads over any machining of the head. Also the new heads need to be checked by the same process the Dave posted above before they are installed because there have been some bad new heads right out of the box in the past.

IMO since this is Ford doing the work i would want new heads not machined ones. Also studs and gaskets will not fix a bad head.

You only have 12K miles to go before all repairs are on your nickel. If the shaved heads fail at 101K miles you will be buying new ones out of your own pocket and they are damn expensive.

Last edited:

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Ok they did change out both heads with new ones. I still don't have the truck back. The started it yesterday and it had a dead cylinder. Bent push rod. Replaced push rod. test drove today. Tech said it ran great. when he pulled back up at the shop the oil pressure light came on while ideling. Give it a little gas and it goes away. @ 3:00 they were pulling the valve cover to check the oil pressure. They think that it will be a sensor. I hope that is all it is.

They also replaced the egr and oil coolers, and the degass bottle.

What do you guys think?

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
As far as knowing about the heads they look newer.

do you think that it will be a sensor or a oil pump problem? I thought that these trucks wouldn't run with low base oil pressure? I am trying to learn all i can about the 6.0.

thanks for all of the info.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well I just got back from the dealer. It is the oil pump. i hate being without my truck but I would perfer it to happen now than to leave me on the side of the road. Or 8000 miles from now when it comes out of my pocket.

Ford Truck Articles