Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 discussion

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince,

Quick question.....

Any thoughts on the numerous threads on the web about using the latest ashless TCW-3 2-stroke motor oil in a diesel motor?

Many are reporting same or better mileage and decreased noise (perceived as less wear on the injectors). Any truth to this? Has this topic ever come up in your Ford training?

The web has many adding 1oz per gallon of diesel and it is enough to lubricate but not enough to clog fuel filters. Many are posting it is like using bio-diesel (B5 - B20).

Just curious what your training and/or "real-world" experience has taught you... or is there some evidance to support this practice?

The TCW-3 oil is the latest & greatest 2-stroke oil and burns cleanly and is ashless.

Your thoughts????
There has been no mention of a recommendation of a two stroke oil of any kind. Remember, Ford has a lubricity additive that is approved for use in a powerstroke. 130k+ miles and no troubles so far......why change that formula, Beach? My vote is no....its the same as marvel mystery oil.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
There has been no mention of a recommendation of a two stroke oil of any kind. Remember, Ford has a lubricity additive that is approved for use in a powerstroke. 130k+ miles and no troubles so far......why change that formula, Beach? My vote is no....its the same as marvel mystery oil.

I know.... and agree... but just always curious on what I have read (alot) on this topic.

There are 1,000 of posts that the chemicals in all diesel additives are very simular to acetone, kerosene and other solvents.... which are horrible lubricants in their own right. Yes... I have been using PowerService in every tank and so far so good... but on the Ford, Chevy and Dodge sites, there are many threads on using 2-stroke motor oil to lubricate the injectors and pumps.

Much of this was started a few years back when an independant research company (will have to find the report and link when I get back in town) tested many different brands of additives, 2-stroke oil, bio-diesel and un-treated diesel fuel.

2-Stroke oil works to lubricate a 2-stroke motor with a thin film of oil... so would this work in a diesel motor?

Just curious... as some have reported 1 - 2 mpg gains... as the 2-stroke oil adds to the "burn" of the fuel?????

Thanks,

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I flush my cooling system every 50,000 - 60,000 miles and only use distilled water and Ford Premium Gold Coolant.
Mine's been flushed more than yours Beach! WOW!! Of course, that may be because it's been out as much as it's been in! ROFLMAO

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Mine's been flushed more than yours Beach! WOW!! Of course, that may be because it's been out as much as it's been in! ROFLMAO
Yes, but Jeff doesn't have the continious flush kit installed on his (hole in the block) Jeff's is still a closed loop system smilietease smiliestirthepot smilieeatndrink 'badachang'

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I know.... and agree... but just always curious on what I have read (alot) on this topic.

There are 1,000 of posts that the chemicals in all diesel additives are very simular to acetone, kerosene and other solvents.... which are horrible lubricants in their own right. Yes... I have been using PowerService in every tank and so far so good... but on the Ford, Chevy and Dodge sites, there are many threads on using 2-stroke motor oil to lubricate the injectors and pumps.

Much of this was started a few years back when an independant research company (will have to find the report and link when I get back in town) tested many different brands of additives, 2-stroke oil, bio-diesel and un-treated diesel fuel.

2-Stroke oil works to lubricate a 2-stroke motor with a thin film of oil... so would this work in a diesel motor?

Just curious... as some have reported 1 - 2 mpg gains... as the 2-stroke oil adds to the "burn" of the fuel?????

Thanks,

Clean fuel and a good additive is all you need. Ashless 2 stroke oil will add btu content to the fuel as it is a hydrocarbon, however it will contain additives meant for a gasoline injection system, not a diesels. (a good majority of them now contain stabil for gasoline to keep gas fresh) My bet is it will add to some carboning build up on the injector nozzles.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
(a good majority of them now contain stabil for gasoline to keep gas fresh) My bet is it will add to some carboning build up on the injector nozzles.
I looked at all the ones at our marina, I rent used to rent waverunners up until last year, and ALL the TCW-3's that I see stocked, contain Stabil type additives. Hadn't thought about those being for gassers.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Clean fuel and a good additive is all you need. Ashless 2 stroke oil will add btu content to the fuel as it is a hydrocarbon, however it will contain additives meant for a gasoline injection system, not a diesels. (a good majority of them now contain stabil for gasoline to keep gas fresh) My bet is it will add to some carboning build up on the injector nozzles.

Interesting???????

Have not read the lable on the 2-stroke oil bottle I have for our Kawasawki Jet Ski. I use the synthetic/high-performance oil and pay dearly for it at the Kawasaki dealer... but fortunately I only use it for a few months each year.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
2% bio looks like the winner hands down.

Ford Truck Articles