Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 diagnostics

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hmm, if some body was looking to pic up a used Diesel with out a warrenty which engine out of your experience would be the Umm, "safer" choice to go with....?
Both have good points and bad. Even early 6.0s can be safe. If they have a lot of miles on them, most of the problems show somewhat early. I think if it was me, 05 and newer 6.0 (they're a little easier to work on). Bear in mind, none are cheap when major work happens.

Both have good points and bad. Even early 6.0s can be safe. If they have a lot of miles on them, most of the problems show somewhat early. I think if it was me, 05 and newer 6.0 (they're a little easier to work on). Bear in mind, none are cheap when major work happens.

My grandfather has a 2003 F250 SC 4x4 with the early 6.0L and he hasn't had any problems with it. He's probably been pretty lucky. I actually kinda liked that engine, it would get up and go when he would step on it, and had alot of torque. :)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Truck hit 144,000 this weekend... and all is well.
:nana: :nana: :nana:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Little history....this truck had 8 injectors replaced, one month later had 2 replaced. This screenshot was after the truck warmed up. Customer said it had a cold start misfire.

blacksnapon

Staff member
FICM checks out OK?
FICM performance test checks out. After a while, you realize that those results dont mean anything. Essentially, this measures inputs and outputs. If theres an intermittent in the ficm, this sort of thing can happen. Remember, the ficm controls the injectors. Other possibles, ficm connectors, wire chafes (we all know this doesn't happen on a 6.0 :rofl: )

Ford Truck Articles