Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'57 F100 new to me

57blueboat

New Jersey Chapter member
Well I am still waiting for the title so I can register the truck but took a few pictures with my phone in the garage and thought I'd put them up. Will be getting some nice photos in the fall leaves while they are still around in the next few days once it is registered. Look forward to gaining some knowledge.

Andrew

Attachments

• 1030091700.jpg
  • 1030091700a.jpg
  • 1030091700b.jpg
  • 1030091700c.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dang that thing looks to be in great shape. Barn find? Family owned? Looks great...now what kinda drivetrain are we talking?

57blueboat

It has a 272 with a 3 on the tree, bought it from someone in Illinois. The cluster says 54,000 miles on it not sure if it was rolled back or what but body is in great shape and they is only minor rust issues on the top of the cab and the on the bottom of the passenger door which I will address in the future. Will have more pictures next week with a real camera.

57blueboat

Well a month later I have some fortunate and unfortunate updates. Obviously, pictures have not come, mostly because the truck only only run for about 10 miles since I have taken possession of it.

I have been working my way from left to right in the engine bay to restore this vehicle to proper working condition. It started first with what appeared to be a dead battery which lead to the realization that the generator was dead (if anyone knows someone who would like to buy for rebuilding purpose please let me know) which meant I choose to put in a new alternator. Still not running the carburator was up next which was on its last legs so put in a new Holley yet the engine still choose to run very poorly until the latest discovery.

After looking at the fuel filter which continued to get soiled after cleanings I decided to open the tank to have a look inside where I discovered layers of rust and contaminents in the tank which would explain the poor performance and difficulty in diagnosing the problem. Now I will be redoing the fuel delivery system from the carburator back which may or may not include a new fuel pump (depending on its condition after all that contaminated fuel).

The good of it all is that the truck passed inspection, yes really ha, so once I finish this next project I will be able to drive the truck, then move on to the non essential projects such as a new wiper motor, stereo, renovation of the interior and other aesthetic details that I wish to accomplish. I intended to use this truck through the winter but its starting to look more and more like a spring arrival for it all but who knows winter is a boring time I'll try to get as much done as quickly as I can.

Hopefully soon this work will be done and I can provide some pictures as now the truck is sitting awaiting my next move. Also if anyone has suggestions for audio choices let me know was I am still debating different options.

Andrew

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
if it were me id get an original radio for that truck and leave it in stock location. working or not. then get a newer aftermarket radio and hide it like in the glove box or something.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
A clean fuel system saves a ton of headaches. First thing I do when starting on a new project is buy a new tank, then use all new lines, install a plastic (see-thru) inline filter, etc You're money and time ahead to just do it.

Don't toss the generator - even if you donate it to the local auto electronics shop - it has value to some of us who still run them.

Nice truck, enjoy!!!

57blueboat

Got the truck running today, put in the new tank, sender and fuel pump and the truck is idling and running great now. Its first day of actual action which was a nice experience. The clutch is going and the motor mounts may need a look in the future but for now I'm happy. The spring and summer will be my time to address the cosmetic and body work that I need to get to, for now happy with a running truck two months later.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts