Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.8l vs 5.7l

FordBoy86

Kentucky Chapter member
my buddy has a 1994 GMC 5.7L 4x4 ext cab 6ft bed and I have a 1994 F150 5.8L 4x4 ext cab 8ft bed. he says he will pull me backwards with no effort. I told him I would hook up anytime but he never will. Who would actually win this one?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
should be a good one.. are they both stock ?

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Might wanna check the curb weight on both. If he's got ya beat on weight by more than 100 lbs or so, and some good rubber, chances are, it may happen. All about traction. Hope both of you have Class C hitches or better. This could turn out very badly.

FTF'er
It would be close, but I think the GM would get ya. It depends a lot on who has a locking rear differential and what tires you each have and driver skill/luck. The IFS Chevy trucks dominate the 1/2 ton class at all the local truck pulls around here.

FTF'er
Well that's certainly to your advantage. If he had the GM factory locker it would break anyway.

Well that's certainly to your advantage. If he had the GM factory locker it would break anyway.

Haha. True. I think it would be pretty close. Are both of the trucks automatics?

in a race, yeh, ud loose, i raced my cousins 93 f250 with a 5.8, stock, cept hollowed at cats and a flowmaster muffler. And my trucks stock.. were were neck and neck the whole way. was slowlyy pulling away, but traffic held us up

A tug of war won't prove anything, the trucks should be close to the same weight so the guy that spins the tires first loses, if you did it 10 times chances are it would be a 50/50 split... assuming nothing broke. And there is a good chance the Chevy would break... the GM 10 bolt axle found in these trucks is about equivalent to a Ford 7.5" axle.. pretty weak for a full size truck with V8 power.

A drag race would better decide things and would be close IMO, though if the Chev has 3.73 gears which a lot of them did then he'll have an advantage. Both trucks had nearly identical power ratings from the factory in that year, around 210hp and 300tq.

Last edited:

FTF'er
Hmmm, I never knew about the 3.73 gears, that explains alot.
Yeah, quite a few of the full size Chevy trucks have 3.73 gears. I'm a Chevy guy also, and it's funny to hear the Ford guys boast of 3.55 gears as if they are something cool when many Chevys come with 3.73's, lol.

And there is a good chance the Chevy would break... the GM 10 bolt axle found in these trucks is about equivalent to a Ford 7.5" axle.. pretty weak for a full size truck with V8 power.
My Suburban had a 10 bolt that broke during a truck pull. It was pulling better than everyone else until it broke. My Burb is a '96 which came with 255 hp and 330 torque, and the truck weighs 6,300 pounds... so yeah, the 10 bolt has no business being in there. The cool thing is that a 6 lug 14 bolt will swap right in place of a 10 bolt and can bought for about $300. The 14 bolt is a fairly strong axle.

Here's a few pics. The differential broke in half and the cross pin sliced through the diff cover. (Note the curly-Q metal at the top of the cover :rofl: )

6-18-07002.jpg

6-18-07005.jpg

6-18-07003.jpg

FTF'er
that is cool...did you keep the diff cover as a keepsake?lol
Yep, that picture is from 6-18-07 and I've still got the cover :D

It was somewhat embarrassing to break out on the track. The rear of the Burb is so heavy that it gets crazy traction which equals broken parts, especially a crappy 10 bolt. I think the shock load of the rear breaking helped contribute to the failure of the sunshell in my transmission a few months later. smiliecrybaby

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts